Job Title: Church Pianist/Accompanist Part-Time
Organization Name: Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society
Organization Website: www.shorelineunitarian.org
Salary Range (optional): $20/hour x 10 hours per week
SUBMIT RESUME WITH COVER LETTER AS AN ATTACHMENT BY E-MAIL ONLY TO:
Deadline to submit: October 6, 2017
Job Description – CHURCH PIANIST/ACCOMPANIST
Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society (SUUS) in Madison, Connecticut,
seeks a Church Pianist/Accompanist who is enthusiastic about participating in
our worship services under the leadership of our called full-time minister.
Warmth, rapport and a basic understanding of Unitarian Universalist
principles are desirable qualities.
Term of Employment:
The Church Pianist/Accompanist needs to be available throughout the calendar
year to provide continuity, with time off scheduled during each quarter.
Working most Sunday mornings is required, as well as other hours for
rehearsals and meetings on weekdays to be scheduled.
10 hours per week @ $20.00 per hour
• Communicate with the minister and the Worship Committee, often by email
• Collaborate with the Vocal Music Leader in order to provide inspiring
music to the congregation.
• Accompany vocal music as needed for worship services.
• Perform musical selections (i.e. gathering music, prelude, meditation,
offertory, postlude, etc.) as needed for the worship service.
• Accompany hymns and rehearse with other instrumentalists and vocalists
from the congregation. Collaborate with leaders of instrumental music groups
(e.g., SUUS orchestra); accompany on the piano for rehearsals and
• Accompany at the Christmas Eve service.
• Maintain the piano’s humidity level.
• Arrange for piano tuning (four times a year).
• Arrange for own back-up when absent. Consult with the minister, maintain
and use a vetted list of accompanists.
• Collaborate with the Vocal Music Leader for accompanying a potential
future Formal Choir at rehearsals and warm-up prior to the service.
AGREEMENTS BETWEEN THE CHURCH PIANIST/ACCOMPANIST AND SUUS:
• Provide a quality Meeting Room piano and pay for maintenance.
• Provide rehearsal space.
• Pay the dues to the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network (UUMN).
• Notify the Church Pianist/Accompanist of opportunities to play at
weddings, memorial services, etc. The Church Pianist/Accompanist will
contact the people requesting music services and be paid by them separately
The Church Pianist/Accompanist will:
• Maintain active membership in UUMN and abide by the UUMN code of
• Participate in a performance review conducted by the Minister and a
representative of the Board of Trustees during the employment year.
• Make a good faith effort to abide by the SUUS Staff Covenant.
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org