ISM Employment Opportunities
Conferences ~ Symposia ~ Concerts ~ Other Performances ~ Lectures ~ Readings ~ Films ~ Exhibitions and more
Reporting to the ISM Director, oversee the design, production, and review of regular and special events and projects in the Yale Institute of Sacred Music, including but not limited to, conferences, symposia, lectures, readings, concerts, theatrical performances, films, and art exhibitions.
Specifically, the ISM Events Manager will oversee most guest performers, including choirs, singers, and organists, as well as varieties of sacred music from the world’s religions. Lectures and readings include the Literature and Spirituality Series, the Liturgy Symposium Series, as well as annual named lectureships. The Institute sponsors 2-3 conferences a year, occasional art exhibitions in the Divinity Quadrangle, several ongoing research projects, and a host of special events curated by the ISM Fellows.
1. Work with event curators to design and manage special events, performances, symposia, conferences, and exhibitions. Supervise staff, students, and outside service providers, and provide comprehensive on-site management as dictated by program.
2. Develop strategies to integrate events into the overall educational work of the ISM and related academic units. In coordination with the Director/faculty, develop program content.
3. Manage delivery of services for events, working closely with Yale internal and external service providers; including, but not limited to Yale Catering, Media Services, Custodial Services, Security, YPPS and Campus Police, as well as those provided by hotels, caterers, and other community service providers. Balance competing priorities to meet all program requirements in a timely manner and deliver quality results. Negotiate pricing and services with facilities and suppliers.
4. In consultation with the Associate Director of Finance and Administration, develop budgets, provide oversight of the expenditures, monitor and update program budgets as plans develop. Create final forecasts, reconcile budgets to ensure all charges are accounted for, accurate, and explained properly.
5. In consultation with the Manager of Communications, help develop press releases and marketing plans to enhance visibility and participation, and to strengthen overall programs.
6. Coordinate schedules, engagement of other service providers, space usage, and general standards of excellence with other department managers.
7. Collect and provide content for all related printed programs and websites.
8. Negotiate contracts/letters of agreement for all activities, and ensure that all contract details are properly carried out.
9. Supervise events assistant (clerical/technical staff) and all student support.
10. Serve as staff leader for calendar planning, working in collaboration with managers and appropriate faculty and staff from programs both within and outside the department.
11. Cultivate and develop beneficial relationships with internal and external service providers. Serve as a liaison with numerous university departments and external organizations. Coordinating as needed with the Communications Manager, communicate department’s ongoing program activity to Yale departments and other communities that may be affected.
12. Utilize FileMaker, EventBrite, Event Management System, Excel, survey tools and other business systems at Yale. Create, test, and monitor all online conference registration forms using web based registration system. Prepare and review standard and ad hoc registration reports for internal and external users.
13. Respond to safety issues working with Yale Security and Yale Police. Respond accordingly for any and all medical emergencies and liabilities.
14. Organize, in collaboration with the Director’s office, plans to ensure that guest scholars and artists are properly greeted and served during their stays at the school.
15. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master’s degree in a field related to religion or the arts, and three years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.