ISM Facilities 2019–2020
ISM facilties policies will follow all University COVID-19 safety protocols. All information is subject to change.
Please do your part to protect the high quality of instruments and resources at the ISM. Your adherence to these policies is an important part of our efforts to maintain instruments, technology, and the overall condition of our facilities. Specific policies for room use are listed below.
Food and Drink in ISM Facilities
Students are welcome to consume food and drink in the lounge area outside the Great Hall in the Sterling Divinity Quadrangle (SDQ) and in the Student Work Room in Miller Hall, which is equipped with kitchen and coffee amenities.
Food and drink (with the exception of water bottles) are strictly prohibited in the following areas:
- Practice Rooms
- Sterling Music Studio
- Miller Music Studio
- Organ Studio
No alcoholic beverages are permitted in any ISM space expect during school-sanctioned events. Violations of the alcohol policy will be referred to the Director’s office for disciplinary action.
Assessment of fines for abuse of ISM spaces
A $100 fine will be imposed on those who abuse ISM spaces in any of the following ways:
- Bringing food or drink into any restricted room
- Leaving personal items in a practice room when absent for more than 15 minutes
- Any other misuse of ISM spaces as determined by ISM staff and faculty
Fines will be charged to student Banner accounts.
The ISM has seven practice rooms located in the North Wing of SDQ, four with practice organs and three with grand pianos, all of which are available to ISM students for practice twenty-four hours a day. After-hours access requires swipe access with a Yale ID to get into both the building and the practice corridor; a key is required for access to organ practice rooms.
Non-ISM students who are members of Schola Cantorum or Camerata, or who are performers in the YDS Chapel community, may request access to the practice rooms. Yale Divinity students are welcome to use ISM practice rooms when not needed by an ISM student.
To request access to practice rooms, send a message to email@example.com (link sends e-mail).
Practice Room Use Policies
- Organ practice rooms must remain locked when not in use. Only students with organ faculty permission may use these rooms, and must acquire a key from ISM staff. Organ students may not open the rooms for use by their secondary students.
- Occasionally, lessons sponsored by the ISM are taught in practice rooms, and these take precedence over practice use. If you are asked to leave a practice room for a lesson, please do so quickly and respectfully.
- Do not bring any food or drink (except water bottles) into any practice room.
- Never place cups (even empty ones) or any other items on musical instruments.
- If you leave your practice room for more than 15 minutes, you must remove all your belongings. Otherwise, you run the risk of the staff removing and discarding them.
- If you open the window in a practice room, be sure to close it before exiting.
- Do not unplug the damp-chasers set up to protect the pianos.
- Do not move instruments within a practice room.
- Do not remove music stands, piano benches, or chairs from practice rooms to use them in another space.
Questions about practice room policies may be directed to the ISM Concert Production Office, located in SDQ–N102.
Lockers are available in the Practice Room Wing (SDQ) and garden level corridor (Miller Hall) and may be reserved by contacting Caitlin MacGregor in the ISM administrative offices. A specific locker can be assigned to you and may only be used for the academic year. Students are responsible for cleaning out their lockers at the end of each academic year.
The Great Hall (room N100 in the North Wing of SDQ) is used for ISM ensemble rehearsals, Colloquium, and classes. Students may request a reservation for ensemble rehearsals only; the room is not to be used for individual practice. Only ISM faculty members may teach lessons in the Great Hall. With prior permission, the Bosendorfer piano may be used in the Great Hall. No equipment is to leave the Great Hall, including music stands and chairs. Anyone using the Great Hall without a reservation will be asked to leave.
The Organ Studio (room N103 in the North Wing of SDQ) is used for lessons with faculty, organ seminar, classes, ensemble rehearsals, practice time for organ students, and practice time for harpsichord students, all with prior permission. With permission, the Kingston harpsichord may be used in the Organ Studio; the harpsichord is not to be moved except in consultation with the ISM Concert Production Office. No equipment is to leave the Organ Studio, including music stands and chairs.
Sterling Music Studio
The Sterling Music Studio (room N209 in the North Wing of SDQ) is not available for student use without permission from the Concert Production Office. Students may be in the Sterling Music Studio only when accompanied by a faculty member or with explicit permission of the Choral Librarian.
Miller Music Studio
The Miller Music Studio (room 008 in Miller Hall) is available for student use after business hours by reservation. No equipment is to leave the Miller Music Studio, including music stands and chairs. Anyone using the Miller Music Studio without a reservation will be asked to leave.