The Yale Institute of Sacred Music will be holding in-person auditions for the 2022–2023 academic year on August 31 through September 3, 3pm–8pm in Leigh Hall, room 408. Only one audition is required to be considered for membership in multiple ISM choral ensembles
A short solo song or aria of your choice: bring a copy of your music for the accompanist
Simple vocal exercises demonstrating range and musicianship
What you need to do
Fill out this questionnaire
Prepare your short solo or aria and bring one copy of the music with you for the provided accompanist.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
All plans are subject to change depending on COVID restrictions
Dr. Felicia Barber, conductor
- Choral ensemble of approximately 70 singers, with a special commitment to new choral music, open to experienced singers from the Yale and New Haven communities
- 2022–2023 performances include the annual Advent concert in early December, the 2023 Three Choirs concert with Yale Schola Cantorum and the Yale Glee Club with guest conductor Craig Hella Johnson, and a concert with chamber orchestra in April 2023
- Open to Yale students, faculty, staff, and greater New Haven community
- Course credit available to graduate students
- Rehearsals: Tuesdays, 7–10pm*
David Hill, principal conductor; Masaaki Suzuki, principal guest conductor
Internationally renowned chamber choir, performing sacred music from the 16th century to the present day, with a special interest in historically informed performance practice
2022–2023 repertoire includes major works by J. S. Bach (Christmas Oratorio), Cecilia McDowall (Aurea Luce, I Know My Redeemer Liveth, Standing Before God), Amy Beach (Canticle of the Sun), Herbert Howells (Requiem, Hymn to St. Cecilia), Benjamin Britten (Hymn to St. Cecilia), a new commission by Aaron Jay Kernis, and sacred music from Latin America for a commercially recorded album. Schola will also join the Yale Camerata and Yale Glee Club in the 2023 Three Choirs Concert, led by guest conductor Craig Hella Johnson.
Open to all Yale undergraduate, graduate, and professional students
Singers earn generous pay
Wednesdays, 6:30–9 pm*
Fridays, 3–5:30 pm*
Yale Repertory Chorus and Yale Recital Chorus
- Chamber choruses with eclectic repertoire, led by current conducting graduate students
- Recitals and concerts throughout the year
- Open to all Yale undergrad, graduate, and professional students
- Singers earn pay or course credit
Repertory Chorus: Mondays, 4–6 pm*
Recital Chorus: Thursdays, 4–6 pm*
Battell Chapel Choir, Marquand Chapel Choir, and Marquand Gospel and Inspirational Choir*
Write to the Director of Chapel Music for more information.
Interested in Yale Glee Club? Check out their website.
*All plans are subject to change depending on COVID restrictions.