Associate Director of Music and Organist (Bronxville, NY)
The Reformed Church of Bronxville (RCB) located in Bronxville, NY is seeking an Associate Director of Music and Organist to begin in Summer 2022 or a mutually agreed upon date. This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience in the range of $65,000 - $75,000 plus a competitive benefits package. The successful candidate will be gifted organist and a hard-working, dedicated professional. Reports to the Director of Music & Liturgy.
RCB is a family of faith, a home for all, at the heart of the community. We strive to create a community of extraordinary love with Jesus at the center. RCB is a thriving suburban parish of 500+ families. The Music Department includes 4 children and youth choirs, 3 youth handbell choirs, Chancel Choir, Adult Handbells, and a thriving concert series. Austin Organs OP. 2804 is currently being installed and its specifications can be found here: https://www.austinorgans.com/Op2804.html. Additionally, the church has a Steinway D, Steinway B, 2 Steinway Ms, 2 full sets of handbells, Malmark Chimes, and a set of Tower Bells. The Associate Director of Music and Organist will join a vibrant and collaborative staff of colleagues.
Minimum Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in church music or organ (Master’s preferred) and 3-5 years of professional experience.
- Superior keyboard skills primarily as an organist, but also a level of comfort at the piano
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in accompanying
- Proficiency in computer skills and digital technology, including office/administrative and music notation software.
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with people at all levels and ages within and beyond the church community
- Experience with Handbells or willingness to learn Strong teaching ability
- Strong organizational and time management skills when it comes to balancing administrative and creative work
- Self-starter who works well independently, with ability to take direction from supervisor, and willingness to delegate to committee members and volunteers
- Demonstrates discernment and wise judgement
- Have the ability to multi-task and handle numerous moving parts within a large music program and parish
- Play large portions of 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday worship services each week
- Be available for special services and extra seasonal services throughout the year (Holy Week, Advent, etc.)
- Accompany Chancel Choir in rehearsals, worship services, and concerts.
- Accompany other ensembles of the church and soloists as assigned by the Director of Music.
- Provide adequate practice time for and preparation of service music, hymns, and accompaniments.
- Provide music for 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. worship services in the event of absence of the Director of Music
- Assist with funerals and weddings as needed
- Maintain weekly organ practice
- Attend staff meetings, music staff or other committees assigned.
- Assist and support the Director of Music in all aspects of the music and worship ministry of the church, including but not limited to administrative duties such as library maintenance, database maintenance, organizing music & paperwork for instrumentalists, keeping choir attendance records and coordinating contracts for guest artists on Concert Series.
- Work with Adult Handbell Choir and Youth Handbells Choirs (2-3 choirs in total)
- Potential opportunity to help direct or lead children’s choirs (ages 3 – 6th grade)
- Other duties as assigned
Interested applicants should provide:
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Links or files to two recordings of your playing including, if possible, a choral or hymn accompaniment
Video recordings are preferred, if possible, but not mandatory.
Please send all application materials to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Finalists will interview and audition onsite in Bronxville, New York. Travel and accommodations provided.