Associate Director of Music (Richmond, Virginia)
Associate Director of Music
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Richmond, Virginia is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Music to begin in August 2022. The largest parish in the Diocese of Virginia, St. Stephen’s has a long tradition of musical excellence. Its diverse worship offerings require skill and interest in a wide variety of musical disciplines and offer opportunities to work with excellent choirs and instrumentalists. As such, interested candidates should be interested and experienced in collaborative music-making. We seek a colleague who is committed to being a leader in all facets of St. Stephen’s music program, and a teammate for future growth. Reporting to the Director of Music, the successful candidate will join a large and talented team of colleagues who are leaders in their fields. The position includes full benefits and a salary commensurate with education and experience.
- Assist in the leadership of the St. Stephen’s Choir, a large adult choir of volunteers and eight staff singers, which sings for two Sunday morning services and occasional concerts
- Assist in the leadership of Sanctuary, a mostly professional choir that sings for Sunday Compline weekly and for occasional concerts
- Work closely with the Director of Music to lead and foster the growth of choirs for children and youth, using RSCM curriculum
- Share in the planning, preparation, and leadership of the service of Celtic Evensong and Communion, a candlelit service involving a cantor and instrumentalists
- Accompany choirs in services and rehearsals, and sing in choirs when not accompanying
- Assist in the planning of all music for worship services
- Assist the Director in planning, promoting, and managing concerts and special events
- Assist in managing multiple large music libraries, departmental finances, vestments, office supplies, and maintenance of our 1951 Aeolian-Skinner organ, two Steinway pianos, and Taskin-style harpsichord
- Attend staff and liturgy meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Music
- A high level of organ performance in solo repertoire, choral accompaniment, and the leadership of congregational singing
- Experience and training in choral conducting; experience with children’s choirs and familiarity with RSCM curriculum is beneficial but not required
- Strong work ethic and organizational and communication skills
- Experience with Excel and music notation software is beneficial but not required
Interested applicants will provide:
- A short letter of intent
- Three references
- A current C.V.
- Links to recordings of one piece of organ repertoire, and one choral or hymn accompaniment; video recordings are preferred, but not mandatory.
Send to Brent te Velde, Director of Music, btevelde@ststephensRVA.org before February 15. No telephone calls, please.