Associate Director of Music/Organist (Rochester, NY)
Associate Director of Music/Organist (full-time): Large, metropolitan, socially active Presbyterian church, with a long-standing commitment to an active, visible ministry of music, seeks a full-time Associate Director of Music/Organist. The position provides direction and supervision for the children’s choirs and handbell choirs of Third Presbyterian Church, as well as accompanying for the Chancel Choir and shared service playing/conducting responsibilities with the Director of Music/Organist. Music ministry, in all its aspects, plays a vital role in the educational ministries of the church, and aims to be inclusive of all who wish to participate.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in music with three to five years’ experience working in a church music program. Master’s degree with additional training and/or experience in Sacred Music, including handbells, preferred. Excellent organ, accompanying, and service playing skills are essential. Experience with and a love for working with children is also essential, though the successful candidate must be able to relate to, teach, and lead a variety of age groups. Holds a basic understanding of Reformed worship and is able to work successfully in a multi-staff model. Salary and benefits commensurate with skills and experience.
Send letter of interest with a resumé, and links to video or audio recordings of you leading a choir rehearsal (any age group) and organ playing. Please also include names of three professional references. All may be sent to:
Chair, Associate Director of Music Search Committee
c/o Third Presbyterian Church
4 Meigs Street
Rochester, New York 14607
Position to begin July, 2020. Application deadline is March 23, 2020.
More complete position description follows:
- Serves as primary accompanist for Chancel Choir in rehearsals and services, under the supervision of the Director of Music/Organist, with some shared conducting responsibilities, as well as regular service playing
- Provides a vision for a comprehensive children’s music program, and actively recruits and engages families and children, both within the congregation and in the larger community, to participate in the program
- Directs and coordinates children’s music ensembles (graded choirs for ages 3 through elementary grades)
- Directs and coordinates handbell program (multiple groups/various ages), leading at least two of the ensembles
- Recruits, supervises and trains volunteers working within the programs, such as accompanists, parent helpers, and any volunteer handbell directors
Works in a variety of ways with the Christian Education Program, including as examples:
- Coordinating early childhood music experiences, within and outside Church School
- Coordinating events and schedules with Children’s Ministry and Youth Ministry staff and committees
- Coordinating development, with other Program Staff, of summer music camp experience and/or biennial Children’s Musical and/or new initiatives
- Attends weekly staff meetings, and serves on the Worship, Music and Arts Committee
- Provides for maintenance of the music libraries for Children’s and Handbell Choirs
Accountability: The Associate Director of Music/Organist is ultimately accountable to the Session through the Personnel Committee, but is directly responsible to the Director of Music/Organist. The Associate Director of Music/Organist will work cooperatively with all members of the staff and will be expected to carry out assignments and fulfill responsibilities to which he/she/they has/have agreed.
Hours: This is a full-time position, with a work expectation averaging 40 hours per week, including evenings and weekends, and with all appropriate benefits.