Associate Organist & Choirmaster (Atlanta, GA)
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, a diverse, large, and vibrant downtown parish in the Diocese of Atlanta, seeks a full-time Associate Organist & Choirmaster to help lead its broad and dynamic music program. St. Luke’s is known as an active parish for care and service, an awareness and commitment to the marginalized in the City of Atlanta and possessing a music program of extraordinary excellence.
The selected candidate should be a consummate conductor, organist and service player, possessing superior skills in hymn playing, choral accompanying, liturgical improvisation, and organ repertory. In addition to sharing organist duties for a rigorous liturgical schedule, the selected candidate will collaborate with St. Luke’s Director of Children & Youth Music in supporting the development of St. Luke’s Chorister program. She/he reports to and takes direction from the Director of Music in the leadership, planning, administration and promotion of all areas of St. Luke’s rich musical life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in regular organ playing for all Sunday liturgies and special services of the liturgical year, except for such time off as outlined in the employment contract.
- Thoroughly prepare all accompaniments, Anglican Chants, service music, and voluntaries for weekly services and concerts.
- Maintain a habit of regular practice of voluntaries and service music in preparation for services and concerts.
- Attend and accompany (as needed) all rehearsals of both Children and Adult Choirs and special rehearsals as called by the Director of Music.
- Choral conducting as requested by the Director of Music.
- Present one full-length recital on the St. Luke’s Alston Memorial Organ each year.
- Responsible for the maintenance and care of the music library of St. Luke’s.
- Keep a log of necessary organ maintenance required for the Alston Memorial Organ and all other church instruments.
- Assist with organization and care of choir vestments as required.
- Submit materials as requested for service leaflets to meet publishing deadlines.
- Serve as a substitute for the Director of Music for weddings and funerals as needed. Assist as accompanist for weddings and funerals as needed. (Additional compensation is offered for weddings and funerals.)
- Lead rehearsals of the Adult Choir as needed in the absence of the Director of Music.
- Cover Sunday and special services as needed in the absence of the Director of Music.
- Assist as needed in the planning and organization of the Music at St. Luke’s Series.
Education and Qualifications:
- hold a graduate degree in organ performance or sacred music (with organ as primary instrument), or equivalent professional experience;
- possess a strong desire for continued professional career advancement as a church musician;
- have previous experience in choral accompaniment and choral conducting;
- demonstrate an advanced level of proficiency in performing organ repertoire and choral accompaniments;
- demonstrate proficiency in sight-reading;
- possess good oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills;
- be committed to further professional development.
St. Luke's instruments include the Austin 90 rank, 8 divisions Pipe Organ, with 5 manual chancel console (Cornell Zimmer, 2000) and 2 manual balcony console (Cornell Zimmer, 2019), handbells and Whitechapel change ringing bells (1921).
St. Luke’s core virtues and values are grace, excellence, hospitality, initiative, communication, and optimism; the right candidate will embody these characteristics with collegiality, pastoral sensitivity, good humor, and Christian faith. A competitive salary package based upon AAM guidelines will include benefits prescribed by the Episcopal Church.
Candidates are invited to submit (1) a cover letter (2) résumé and (3) a list of professional and personal references including contact details. Recordings and other supporting materials will be requested later. Review of applications will begin March 1, 2020 and conclude when a candidate has been called.
Please submit applications:
Music Search Advisory Committee
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
435 Peachtree Street NE
Atlanta, GA 30308