Church Secretary - part-time (Hamden, CT)
Part-Time Administrative Assistant
Mount Carmel Congregational Church, Hamden, CT
Position Description—We wish to hire an organized individual who has excellent computer and social media skills to maintain a cordial and efficient office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Answers and screens voice, mail, and electronic communications, assuring routing them to the appropriate individuals and timely follow-up.
· Maintains and keeps the church calendar (online and print)
· Schedules, manages, and coordinates the church rentals.
· Keeps records for the church in an orderly, efficient, and effective manner
· Works with the minister and church groups/committees to type and distribute the order of worship, newsletter, and other communicates.
· Organizes and maintain supplies to run the church office and church business.
· Maintains the church website and updates with the church’s weekly sermons, bulletins, and events.
· Weekly staff meetings.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work efficiently and stick to weekly deadlines.
- Ability to work with office equipment (computer, printer) and equipment maintenance schedule.
- Must be able to work independently as well as coordinate with the minister, church staff, and church committees.
- Must be courteous and positive with the parishioners and the public.
- Must exercise exceptional judgment in dealing with sensitive and personal issues and be able to screen pastor’s calls.
- Must be comfortable working with technology and able to maintain the website.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent computer skills, including word processing, database, email, and networking
- Very good website skills.
- Very good social media skills to publish the church activities to a growing social network.
- Experience working for a church or non-for-profit organization.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least two years clerical or administrative experience.
- Time is spent in a church office, 3 days per week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) from 9 am to noon. (This is negotiable.)
Hours and compensation
9 hours per week for 48 weeks with 5 paid vacation days/year plus major holidays. Salary is $18.50 per hour to start.