Director of Music (Encinitas, California)
San Dieguito United Methodist Church located in the Southern California coastal city of Encinitas is an open and affirming church with a congregation of approximately 900 members. The motto of the Methodist Church, “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors” welcomes everyone regardless of age, race, education, economic status, marital status, sexual orientation or special needs. The church's music programs are an integral part of the weekly worship service. The Chancel Choir is accompanied by a Schantz Pipe Organ of 42 ranks or an eight foot Yamaha grand piano.
The Director of Music supervises the music ministry of the entire church. Duties include conducting the Chancel Choir, coordinating and supervising other church choral and instrumental organizations including an active handbell program, children's and youth choirs. The Director of Music coordinates with and reports directly to the Senior Minster.
San Dieguito United Methodist Church is noted for its exceptional music program, grounded in the classical genre, but distinguished by its breadth, quality, congregational participation and support. The Chancel Choir usually performs two major concerts with orchestra every year. The concert repertoire has included such works as "Messiah" (Handel), "The Creation" (Haydn), "Mass of the Children" (Rutter), "German Requiem", (Brahms), "Magnificat"(J. S. Bach), "In Terra Pax" (Finzi), and "Ceremony of Carols" (Britten).
Please provide resume and three references. No recordings at this time.
- Expertise and experience in conducting choral and instrumental music
- Understanding of essential elements of traditional Christian worship
- Experience as a participant in traditional Christian worship
- Openness to differing styles of choral and congregational music
- Ability to function cooperatively with multiple church staff
- Experience in supervision of church musicians
- Organization and communications skills appropriate to the job
- Conversant in a wide range of sacred choral repertoire
- Direct Chancel Choir in rehearsal, Sunday worship services, and special concerts and services as deemed appropriate
- Direct service music, i.e. anthem and responses
- Coordinate with the pastors on the appropriate music for all services including but not limited to Sunday services and special services such as Easter and Christmas
- Utilize capable congregational instrumentalists and vocal soloists
- Contract extra musicians as needed for special music
- Expand the membership in the chancel choir and in the Church's other music programs
- Arrange for substitute directors of Chancel Choir in advance of all personal vacations and scheduled absences
- Maintain continuing education with reference to sacred music and through membership in professional organizations
- Carry out planning and coordination of worship music
- Recruit, supervise and train leadership for all Church music ensembles, choirs and music staff
- Supervise the music budget including planning, acquisition, and maintenance of supplies, equipment, organ and pianos
- Arrange for and coordinate special music during scheduled Chancel Choir vacations
- Work in cooperation with the appropriate church committees and personnel in fostering worship excellence
- Coordinate appropriate publicity for special musical events
- General: Hours for the position vary seasonally