Director of Music Ministries (Wilton, CT)
Part-time Director of Music Ministries
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Wilton seeks a Director of Music Ministries who will nurture the prayer and worship life of the whole community through the ministry of music. Music at St. Matthew’s is a vital part of our life and ministry together. We have a long tradition of faithful and formative choirs for children and adults, the gift of paid section leaders, and a tremendous three manual 52-rank Reuter pipe organ. We seek a partner in ministry who will be excited about these gifts even as you cultivate new voices and call new gifts forward. The Rector and the Vestry are committed to a high-quality, inclusive music program where children and adults experience meaningful spiritual formation. We seek a partner who will be as committed as we are to the building up of a program that glorifies God and enriches the life of the whole community through music and song.
The Director of Music Ministries (DMM) will participate in the life of the parish and the work of the pastoral staff. reporting directly to the Rector and working in collaboration with the rest of our team of dedicated staff and lay leaders. The successful candidate will be a faithful, collaborative person who will teach us to lift our hearts and our voices in new ways. The DMM will have a passion for sharing their love of God and of music with children and adults. All finalists will need to consent to a background check. St. Matthew’s is committed to following the Safe Church policies of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut.
Envision and lead St. Matthew’s Music Ministry in collaboration with the Rector
- Provide music and musical leadership at the regular worship of the Parish, working with our to make a joyful noise to the Lord.
- Recruit, train, and rehearse the choirs, ensembles and singers of the Parish.
- Attend to the musical education and spiritual formation of children and adults engaged in the music program.
- Create new opportunities for the congregation and community to connect to the music program.
- Provide or arrange for the provision of music at pastoral liturgies, providing consultation and pastoral care to those planning these rites.
- Be responsible for the administration and expenditure of the music budget.
- Maintain and care for the choir library as well as the musical instruments of the Parish.
Qualifications & Characteristics we seek:
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience as the leader of a choir and/or other ensembles
- Evidence of formal organ and choral training along with demonstrated skills
- A commitment to the musical and spiritual development of Choristers of all ages
- A love of teaching children
- Leadership skills for initiating, developing, and maintaining a high-quality music program
- Grounded in the Anglican tradition, love of the Episcopal Church
- A community builder who will be mindful of the safety and care our kids need
Half to three quarter time; salary is negotiable, competitive, and commensurate with experience.
Bench fees & other compensation available as appropriate for weddings, funerals, etc.
If you feel that you might be called to join our dedicated team of disciples, please send a resume and cover letter to the Rector via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain posted until it is filled.