Director of Music Ministry (Groton, CT)
Saint Andrew Presbyterian Church, PC(USA)
Position: Director of Music Ministry
Hours: 5-10 per week scaling up to 15-20 (or more) per week by the Fall of 2021.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To lead and develop SAPC’s music ministry. To enrich and expand the worship life of our theologically diverse and service-oriented congregation.
• Select and plan music for Sunday and occasional services (e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday), and lead a weekly choir rehearsal after establishment of a post-Covid Choir.
• Work collaboratively with the Pastor on creative worship design to integrate music and liturgy.
• Actively recruit, equip and motivate singers and instrumentalists.
• Lead music ensembles. (Pre-Covid we had a Senior Choir that sang weekly, a Junior Choir that sang occasionally, and a Handbell Choir that played during Advent, Lent, Easter and special occasions.)
• Plan and provide music for weddings, funerals and other special events as agreed (per-diem applies).
• Participate in the life and ministry of the church as a worship program team member.
• Supervise the maintenance of the church’s musical instruments.
• Organize and maintain the church’s music library.
• Provide qualified substitutes during periods of paid absences.
• A self-actuated team player with a positive attitude. Energetic, spirit filled, and enthusiastic about providing an excellent music program.
• Works well with people of all ages and levels of musical experience.
• Master’s degree in music (or equivalent combination of training and experience) preferred.
• Five years of experience in church-related settings preferred.
• Working knowledge of music recording and technology.
• Strong and active Christian faith preferred.
• Comfortable with a broad spectrum of musical styles, including traditional and modern hymns.
• Able to envision and build a dynamic music program.
• Able to engage the congregation to actively participate in community worship.
• High level of proficiency at presenting repertoire, leading hymnody and service music at the piano and organ. The church has both a practice and a performance upright piano and a Renaissance by Allen organ with performance speakers. A proficient organist is preferred but a pianist with the requisite skills considered. If organ experience is not strong, lessons can be built into the compensation package.
Vacation & Other Privileges:
• Five Sundays per year of paid vacation with prior authorization of the Pastor and the Session.
• Two paid Sunday absences due to sickness or personal reasons.
• Organ and piano teaching privileges at times convenient to the church’s schedule.
Send resume and references in Word or PDF format. References (at least one professional) are required.