Director of Music Ministry (Portland, OR)
Director of Music Ministry
St. James Lutheran Church
1315 SW Park Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97201
“We share God’s inclusive and external love with everyone”
St. James Lutheran Church seeks a Director of Music Ministry who will lift up Lutheran liturgical and theological traditions with their organ and choral conducting talents and skills. The Director leads and administers the music program and is a ¾ time salaried position. Located in the cultural district of downtown Portland, St. James hosts a weekly Eucharist service on Sunday and a noon Wednesday service.
Duties and Responsibilities
* In consultation with the Pastor, plan and rehearse organ music for all regular and festival services, including the selection of musical settings of the liturgy, psalmody and hymnody, as appropriate to the readings for the day and liturgical season.
*Attend meetings with the Worship Committee that includes the Pastor and church staff. Attend meetings and provide leadership for the Music Committee.
*Recruit and nurture choir members by building community through the church music program.
*Plan music and lead rehearsals for the Chancel choir weekly and 45 minutes before Sunday service. Schedule and rehearse cantors and guest musicians.
*Develop and mentor the choral scholar program.
*Facilitate music for the children/youth Sunday School program.
*Integrate and rehearse Handbells/Chimes for select worship services.
*Work with the Pastor and Parish Administrator to ensure the service bulletins accurately reflect the music selections.
*Oversee the maintenance of all church musical instruments including a Richard Bond three manual pipe organ, positive organ, handbells, chimes and 4 pianos.
*Maintain and purchase music for the choral and instrumental libraries.
*Submit annual music ministry budget to the church council Finance Committee.
Organize, plan and direct seasonal Vespers series which includes hiring instrumentalist and soloists, fundraising and publicity.
Develop outreach to the community thru creative music venues.
- Master’s Degree preferred in Sacred Music, Organ Performance and Choral Conducting (experience can be substituted for degree)
- Knowledge of the rich heritage of Lutheran liturgical worship.
- Skilled in organ performance and choral conducting.
- Knowledge of choral literature for liturgical seasons.
- Administrative and organizational skills including budgeting and knowledge of computer software systems.
- Ability to work with a church staff
- Flexibility to accommodate all services and rehearsals.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Start date for the position is June 1st.
For best consideration, please provide a resume and cover letter by
Send to: Music Director - Call Committee
For more information check out our website: