Director of Music (New Britain, CT)
South Congregational – First Baptist Church in New Britain, CT, is seeking an individual to fill the role of Director of Music. In partnership with clergy, the Director of Music is a creative and inspirational leader, responsible for the integration and interpretation of music in worship and in the life of the congregation. Our ideal candidate is an accomplished choral director with strong keyboard skills and experience conducting sacred choral music; experience as a professional organist is strongly preferred. We seek a grounded individual with strong leadership skills who will grow our music ministry. South Church has long been known for our exceptional Chancel Choir and our renowned Gress-Miles organ, and our goal is to continue to build on that tradition. Yet, while we highly value traditional classical choral music, we understand that different styles of music move people spiritually. Thus, we feel the need for a more varied music repertoire that includes gospel, contemporary praise music, and sacred music from Africa, South America, the Caribbean, and other cultures.
We are a diverse congregation looking to continually increase in diversity and number. Our motto, “In the Heart of the City for the Heart of the City”, represents very much who we are. We seek a Director of Music with vision to build an expansive and inclusive ministry, including support for our Open, Welcoming and Affirming ministry with regard to the LGBTQ community.
Our music ministry includes The Music Series at South Church, which for five decades has traditionally produced four or more concerts annually, including A Candlelight Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, featuring our Chancel Choir. Our ideal Director of Music will also serve as Artistic Director for The Music Series.
Music is a substantial part of our liturgy, thus the position also requires an individual who is comfortable working with our pastor to shape services both in terms of musicality, hymnody and the lectionary.
The Director of Music plans, develops and administers a complete music program for the church, including the ministry of music in worship, and opportunities for outreach through fine arts in our congregation and community; serves as choirmaster and organist; and supervises all professional and volunteer music personnel. In all things, the Director of Music endeavors to work with the pastor to support the spiritual welfare of the church.
The Director of Music is currently a 28 – 30 hour exempt position reporting directly to the pastor and congregation through its elected Church Council. He/she/they has/have authority in the administration of the church’s music ministry and in the supervision of professional and volunteer music personnel, subject to the limits of the Board of Worship, Music and the Arts (WMA). We believe there is strong potential for this position to expand to full time, with a motivated leader who fosters partnerships within and outside the congregation.
- Directs and develops all aspects of the church’s music program.
- Works with pastors and staff in the design and execution of all worship services.
- Conducts the Chancel Choir in weekly rehearsals and Sunday worship services; hires and supervises the Chancel Choir’s professional soloists/section leaders; and selects, orders and maintains, in coordination with the Music Librarian, all music for use by the Chancel Choir.
- Plays the organ music for all church services.
- Develops children and youth musical activities, and assesses potential for a youth choir.
- Leads special musical ensembles of various ages and abilities as needed, (e.g., hand bell choir, the Tower Chime Guild, and inter-generational choir).
- Integrates diverse styles of music into the repertoire.
- Creates opportunities for musical collaboration with tenant churches at South Church.
- Markets and publicizes the church music ministry to the larger community.
- Responsible for providing music at all weddings and funerals held in the church (for additional compensation).
- Maintains the collection of the church’s instruments, including two Gress-Miles organs – a large instrument in our main chancel (https://www.southchurch.org/organ), and a smaller organ located in our chapel -- and 11 pianos.
- Attends staff, WMA and occasional Church Council meetings.
- Provides information about music for the Sunday bulletin and other events, and an article in the monthly newsletter about the music ministry.
- Oversees technical aspects of recording and sound systems.
- Works in tandem with volunteers and the Digital Ministry Coordinator to produce live-streamed and/or pre-recorded online worship services. The following link will take you to our YouTube page where you can view the pre-recorded worship services we have provided during COVID-19 restrictions: https://www.youtube.com/c/SouthChurchNewBritainCT/videos
- Serves as Artistic Director of The Music Series at South Church (https://www.musicseries.org), providing artistic consultation, and including the planning and execution of A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, featuring the Chancel Choir.
Following CDC guidelines, our church services have been remote since March of 2020. We hope to reopen the church in May for weekly Sunday services, and intend to go live with our Chancel Choir in September.
The position of Director of Music requires substantial professional training and experience in choral conducting, keyboard (both piano and organ preferred), sacred music and music education. The preferred candidate should be a degreed professional or have the equivalent work experience, as well as experience in administration and supervision of volunteer and professional musicians.
The ideal candidate will bring skill and a desire to explore diverse musical styles with the choir and congregation, and will also have experience working with people of different ages and backgrounds.
Competitive salary offered based on your education, experience, and skills; benefits offered based on the needs of the candidate. Additional compensation provided for Artistic Director consultation to The Music Series at South Church.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest describing how you meet the requirements presented in the job description, a current resume, and contact information for three references to Pastor Jane Rowe at South Church: email@example.com. The application deadline is end of business on Friday, May 28, 2021.