Director of Worship and Music (Cincinnati, Ohio)
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd
ABOUT US: At Good Shepherd Lutheran Church we have a mission to help you Share God’s Grace, Grow in faith, and Serve your neighbors. Learn more at https://goodshepherd.com/
TITLE: Director of Worship and Music
This is an unparalleled opportunity for an exceptional musical and worship leader to join one of the largest, flourishing Lutheran churches in Ohio, as an essential member of the GSLC staff, following the retirement of our incumbent musician. The Director of Worship and Music builds and enhances the worship life of this thriving congregation by providing a wide variety of group and individual worship experiences, teaching people to grow their faith through musical expression, and augmenting the music ministry of the congregation through the addition and expansion of music opportunities for all skill/age levels. This professional will work collaboratively with the four clergy members, Director of Contemporary Music, Director of Online Ministry, other staff members, and congregants to grow our vibrant ministries, including in-person and on-line services, usually engaging over 500 members weekly.
- Lead the planning and execution of worship services.
- Lead and develop the music staff.
- Lead the selection, direction, and/or coordination of music for all worship services and other music programs.
- Lead the creative liturgical arts ministry enhancing the expression of the liturgical seasons.
- Lead the recruitment and development of vocal and instrumental groups.
- Conduct various administrative duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Lives a life of faith and demonstrate the spirit of Jesus Christ through an energetic, caring, and positive manner.
- Earned Master’s Degree in Sacred Music or equivalent degree/experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Lutheran theology, liturgical practice, and the use of music in worship.
- Demonstrated skill and competency in keyboard performance, particularly organ.
- Demonstrated experience and competency in directing choirs of all age groups.
- Experience and competency in directing handbell choirs, brass choirs, instrumental ensembles, and developing new ensembles.
- Demonstrated excellence in collaboration (i.e. clergy, staff members, congregational leaders, and volunteers).
- Engaging interpersonal skills conducive to motivating volunteers.
- Demonstrated strength in organizational skills, strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge copyright law and its application, as it pertains to both in-person and on-line worship settings.
- Competitive Salary and Comprehensive Benefits.
- Full-time, exempt status.
- Relocation assistance available.
- Called position, if on the roster of the ELCA.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and mp4 recording of worship leading examples to: Hans Schwarz (Chair of the Director of Worship and Music Search Team) at email@example.com.