Fellow of Sacred Music (Madison, Wisconsin)
St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church in Madison, Wisconsin, is seeking a Fellow in Sacred Music to begin in the Fall 2021 or a mutually agreed upon date. The Fellow in Sacred Music is a one-year, part-time position (with the possibility of renewing for a second year) that is especially suited for a current or recent collegiate student seeking to gain additional experience within a highly active and thriving parish music ministry.
St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church offers a comprehensive music program including semi-professional and volunteer adult and youth choral ensembles, a concert series, scholarship choral singers, and unique performance opportunities. As ministers of the word through music, the music ministry is dedicated to providing leadership in the worship of God and in the proclamation of God’s word. In turn, we strive to present superiority in the artistic training and Christian formation of youth and adults and to enrich the cultural life of the community.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in music (Master's preferable)
- Exceptional abilities as an organ and piano and accompanist
- Exceptional sight-reading abilities
- Experience in working with adult and children’s choral ensembles preferable
- Experience in conducting music for chant ensembles preferable
- Knowledge of Roman Catholic (Novus Ordo) liturgy
- High level of professionalism, humility, and a healthy sense of humor
the following set of responsibilities is not meant to encompass all responsibilities but is a summation of responsibilities.
- Serve as assistant to the Director of Music
- Provide organ/piano accompaniment for 3-4 liturgies per weekend
- Seasonal collaborative planning sessions and weekly meetings with Director of Music
- Assist in the recruitment of new choristers
- Other duties as assigned
- Conductor of the Men & Women’s Schola (chant-based vocal ensemble)
- Serve as accompanist (primarily organ & some piano) for choral ensembles at all assigned liturgies, rehearsals, retreats, run-outs, and performances
- Participate in weekly evening rehearsal with choral ensembles
- Serve as assistant director and instructor in Youth Chorister Training Program
- Provide music for weekly school liturgies
- Other duties as assigned
Position Remuneration and Benefits
- Salary: $24,000 - $33,000 pending experience, education, and abilities
Three (3) weeks paid vacation
- may not to be taken during Holy Week - Easter Sunday or Advent - Christmas Day
Weddings / Funeral Stipends (in addition to salary)
- Weddings: $250 per wedding (Mass only); $200 per wedding (Service only)
- Funerals: $150 per funeral
The parish has recently begun the process of working towards the purchase and installation of a new pipe organ into the church.