Handbell Choir Director (Wakefield, RI)
The Handbell Choir Director works with the Musical Director, Senior Minister, and bell choir members to develop and present handbell repertoire to support Sunday worship services – currently, once per month. Rehearsals are weekly (Tuesday, 6:30 – 8:00 pm).
- College degree in music (preferred) with extensive knowledge of handbell repertoire and techniques.
- Flexibility with worship styles, innovations and practices.
- Familiarity with a variety of music genres including faith-based Christian music.
- Possess strengths in the areas of motivating others, community building, management skills, and teamwork.
- Comfortable with the Theology of the United Church of Christ
- Recruit, organize, and direct bell ensemble for participation at regular monthly and special services as needed (special services include, but not limited to, Christmas Eve, Lent, Easter, etc.,).
- Direct weekly rehearsals (Tuesday evenings 6:30-8:00 pm) and schedule and conduct extra rehearsals as required.
- Lead the arranging of the musical elements in a way that is thematically integrated, liturgically appropriate, and contributes to other elements of services.
- Encourage active congregational participation.
- Maintain professional memberships and attend workshops to maintain relevant handbell skills and increase knowledge of current repertoire.
- Perform other duties appropriate to the mission of music as requested by supervisor.
- Be available to lead special services for funerals, weddings, and community events etc., for additional compensation.
- Maintain active contact information for the members of the ensemble.
- Select and purchase music, supplies, and instruments within allotted budget.
- Submit invoices to appropriate office staff in a timely manner.
- Communicate activities for both services through church publications and Annual Reports.
- Maintain the handbell music library and the digital index of handbell music.
- Oversee the maintenance of the handbells, tables and other related equipment.
- Reports to the Musical Director.
Boards and Committees
- Participate in monthly music board meeting (First Monday of each month – 6:00PM-7:00PM
- Participate in team planning meetings and regular staff meetings to plan and promote supplemental music programs and events in conjunction with the Music Committee.
Application Instructions: Application should include cover letter, resume, as well as names and phone numbers of three references, including at least one professional reference. We are considering applications as they arrive and would like to fill the position ASAP.
Send application materials to: email@example.com