Interim Director of Music (Fairfield, Connecticut)
(August 7, 2020)
FIRST CHURCH CONGREGATIONAL
United Church of Christ
Interim Director of Music
POSITION: Interim Director of Music (Part time, 15 hours per week; 20 hours per week when the Chancel Choir returns)
The Interim Director of Music will collaborate with the pastors in creating inspirational and uplifting services of worship during the search for a permanent Director. The Interim Director of Music is responsible for the sacred music ministry of the church; plays the organ and piano for worship; directs and oversees the adult Chancel Choir; oversees and administers the Lenten Organ Series; and supports the Director of Children’s Music.
- Worship & Music
- Work collaboratively with the pastors and others in planning and coordinating
worship services. Understand, value and incorporate a wide range of musical expression - choral, solo, and instrumental, utilizing a variety of styles and genres – and incorporate church members as instrumentalists and vocalists as appropriate
- Select and practice service music suitable to themes of worship; consult with the pastors in the selection of hymns.
- Ensemble Leadership and Choir Master
- Recruit, support, promote, develop, teach, and direct the members of the Chancel Choir and additional ensembles as needed on a temporary or seasonal basis; and collaborate with the Director of Children’s Music. (At present, the Choirs are not meeting due to the Coronavirus.)
- Provide musical accompaniment and choral direction for all Rehearsals for choirs, soloists, and instrumentalists.
- Serve as organist, pianist and conductor of the Chancel Choir and other vocal ensembles in worship services. Provide additional keyboard and vocal leadership as required.
- Identify and encourage the musical talents of the members of the
Congregation and engage them in the ministry of music, especially to
recruit and engage other musicians and performers to increase the variety
of musical offerings in the online worship and, when possible, in person.
- Coordinate with the Board of Music to provide for the safety and
security of the organs, pianos and other musical instruments and to oversee their use and maintenance.
2. Maintain a current catalog of the music library and its appropriate
organization and storage.
- Participate in weekly pastoral team meetings and planning sessions.
- The Pastors will recommend the services of the Interim Director of Music for weddings and funerals and the Interim Director of Music will have the right of refusal for all such services.
- The Interim Director of Music will have access to the Church pianos and organ for conducting private music lessons, as scheduled by the Church Business Manager.
ACCOUNTABILITY: to the Senior Pastor, with the support of the Personnel Board and the Board of Music.