Interim Director of Music Ministry (Montclair, NJ)
Union Congregational Church - Director of Music Ministry (Interim position)
We seek an Interim Director of our Music Ministry who can lead a vibrant music program that serves the spiritual needs of our congregation. The ideal candidate will have excellent keyboard and choral conducting skills and will be eager to collaborate with the clergy to provide a broad range of musical styles for our worship. A key goal of this position is to encourage our congregation’s large pool of professional and amateur musicians to explore new ways of using music to inspire, affirm and give voice to our love of God.
The Interim Music Director is a half-time position, requiring about 20 hours /week. We anticipate the Interim Director will serve for 18-24 months.
- Excellent keyboard and choral conducting skills required, organ skills a plus
- Strong foundation in the classical church music tradition, and skilled in a broad range of worship music genres.
- Strong skills in communication, ability to maintain friendly and effective working relationship with staff, volunteers, and members of congregation
- Select and perform appropriate musical pieces, including accompaniment of choir and congregational singing for regular Sunday services, and special services, as planned in collaboration with the Ministers and other staff.
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals for the adult choir, nurturing new participation and a positive environment for choir members.
- Supervise and support Directors of Youth and Children’s Choirs and Handbell Choirs and Section Leaders.
- Arrange for the care and maintenance of the church's musical instruments
- Arrange for substitutes to cover planned absences
- Work with appropriate staff and lay leaders regarding music programs, including attendance at staff meetings and monthly Worship Committee meetings.
- Attend to other administrative tasks such as maintaining our music library
- Provide music at weddings and funerals for a separate stipend; assist in securing a substitute if unavailable
Reports to the Senior Minister.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in music preferred, or equivalent experience
- Professional training and experience in vocal and instrumental music and conducting
- Experience in keyboard and/or organ accompaniment
- Experience in planning music for worship services in collaboration with clergy
Salary range is $28,000-$35,000 for a half-time position. Total compensation can include excellent health, dental, and vision insurance. Qualified candidates are encouraged to provide a resume, cover letter, and a musical sample.
Send via e-mail to: email@example.com
Our Instruments include:
- Austin full-pipe organ (1970) in good working condition.
- Steinway Grand Piano in excellent condition, 2 additional baby grand practice pianos.
- Restored Harpsichord in good working condition.
Why Work Here?
We are an open and affirming Christian congregation in the suburban New York area who welcome worshipers from all faiths, backgrounds and beliefs and who seek a closer relationship with God. Founded in 1882, our church holds a live/virtual service within a mile of Montclair State University each Sunday of the year. Our vibrant and energetic congregation includes members whose talents span a broad range of professions, including the arts, finance, education, medicine and business. www.unioncong.org
Please also see our Statement of Purpose.