Music Director (Burlington, VT)
We seek a creative and spirit-filled Music Director to lead a vibrant music program that contributes to the ministry and growth of our church. With a strong foundation in classical sacred music, our congregation now hopes to evolve our music program to include a greater diversity of musical expression. The successful applicant will be skilled at creating sacred space through music, cultivating the musical gifts of our congregation, inviting participation from the wider community, and collaborating as a full member of the ministerial team.
In leading congregational singing, conducting our choir, incorporating instrumental music, and playing the organ, piano or other musical accompaniment, the Music Director sets the tone and creates the mood in which people’s experience of God is enhanced through music. We believe God is calling us to be a “big tent” that welcomes and accepts people no matter where they are on their faith journey, and to be open to new possibilities for worship and service.
Located in the heart of downtown Burlington, Vermont, First Congregational Church is an open and affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ with about 300 members. Burlington is an active college town on the beautiful shores of Lake Champlain with a creative, entrepreneurial spirit and progressive ideals.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and joy in a ministry of music that honors our faith tradition while looking to its future
- Provide music for weekly Sunday worship (i.e., organ, piano, and/or other instruments)
- Hire guest musicians to provide additional music as needed
- Manage a music staff that might also include children’s, youth, and bell choir directors
- Direct and grow the 15+ member choir
Attributes and Talents:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a sense of humor
- Knowledge and appreciation of music from a variety of genres and generations
- Substantial experience as musician (organ, piano, and/or other instruments)
- Ability to lead and conduct choral groups. Ability to lead and conduct handbell groups and children's/youth choirs is optional
- Ability to work collegially with professional and volunteer singers and musicians, to invite participation from musicians of varied abilities, and to encourage congregational singing
A full job description will likely be available in July 2021.
Salary and hours (+/- 15 hours per week) negotiable depending on skills and experience.
Advance inquiries may be directed to Doug Viehmann, Search Committee Chair, at FCCBMusicSearch@firstchurchburlington.org