Music Ministry Leader (Norwich, CT)
Christ Episcopal Church
Date: September 2019
Job Title: Music Ministry Leader (8-10 hours/week)
Reports To: Priest-in-Charge
The Music Ministry Leader helps develop and lead the worship music ministry for the Parish, in consultation with and under the leadership of the Priest-in-Charge, in a way that is consistent with the mission, values and theology of the Parish community. The Music Ministry Leader will also be expected to explore and enhance the creative use of traditional and non-traditional forms of Christian music.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Worship Service (2 hours/week):
- Provide oversight and administration for Christ Episcopal Church's music program.
- Working in collaboration with the Priest-in-Charge, the Music Ministry Leader is responsible for planning, leading, and playing music for the 10:00 a.m. Sunday worship services and other occasional special services.
Seasonal Planning (4.5 hours/week):
- The Music Ministry Leader works collaboratively with the Priest-in-Charge in planning and implementing music for worship that reflects and illuminates the seasons of the liturgical calendar including solos, instrumentals, etc. for holidays and special services.
- Submit information about music for the coming Sunday to the office in a timely manner
- Prepare all music and sequences needed for the Sunday Worship.
Fostering committed team of volunteers (0.5-2 hours/week):
- The Music Ministry Leader develops and fosters engagement and volunteerism for the success of Christ Episcopal Church's music program development by identifying, encouraging, and utilizing volunteer musical talent within the parish.
- While no choir is currently active at Christ Church, the Music Ministry Leader may be asked to re-engage this ministry. Should the Choir become active again, the Music Ministry Leader will serve as a spiritual leader to choir members, creating an environment where musical training & preparation becomes a part of maintaining and further building a solid foundation of faith for participants. The Music Ministry Leader would also plan and direct weekly choir rehearsals.
Other Responsibilities (1 hour/week):
- Attend staff meetings, when requested, and uphold the staff and church in prayer and encouragement.
- Maintain and oversee the maintenance of all musical instruments and records.
- Direct outreach events into the community via performances at other organizations as appropriate.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the Parish.
Prepare an annual budget for submission to the Vestry to reflect the total music program
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
A bachelor’s degree in music or music education or related discipline with 3+ years’ experience as an organist with additional experience as a choir and/or musical leader/director in a church environment preferred. Experience in organ and piano performance and other instruments. Strong communication (both verbal and written) skills and ability to work and interact well with staff, parishioners, and volunteers; organizational, and time management skills are essential. Self-starter with a strong commitment to excellence.