Organ scholar (Chicago, IL)
St. James Cathedral, Chicago (Episcopal) is seeking an Organ Scholar for academic year 2020-21. Candidates must have recently completed a course of study in organ or sacred music at the graduate or undergraduate level. A high level of proficiency at the organ is required, and choral experience is ideal. In a competitive job market, this hands-on learning position is an ideal starting place for a career in church music.
Duties shall include:
· Accompanying the Cathedral Choir and Choristers in 3-4 weekly choral services
· Playing hymns, service music, and voluntaries at Cathedral liturgies
· Assisting in the direction and training of the choirs
· Offering two recitals a year at the Cathedral
· Attending staff meetings and liturgy planning sessions
In the course of carrying out these duties, the Organ Scholar will learn the intricacies of running a dynamic department of music. Opportunities for formation shall include:
· Regular coaching in accompaniment, service-playing, repertoire, and conducting with Director of Music Stephen Buzard
· Mentoring by the Cathedral clergy
· Education in the repertoire of the Anglican choral tradition
· Exposure to diverse liturgical and musical resources, particularly at our 9am service and Diocesan occasions
· Managing administrative tasks such as budgeting, attendance, and recruitment
· Career-building and professional development
The full-time position runs for one academic year with the possibility of renewal for a second year. The Cathedral offers $2000/month with housing provided, plus health and retirement benefits. Specific start and end dates are negotiable.
Interested applicants should submit the following by January 15, 2020:
· A cover letter articulating why they feel called to a career in church music
· A 1-page resumé outlining relevant experience plus two references
· Links to two recordings, including a choral accompaniment if available
Please send all correspondence to Stephen Buzard at firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be brought to St. James for an interview and audition in February.