Organist and Director of Sacred Music (Broooklny, NY)
Saint Brigid Roman Catholic Church is currently seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Organist and Director of Sacred Music. Saint Brigid is an inner-city parish in an evolving and urban neighborhood in the Bushwick/Ridgewood section of Brooklyn, New York. The majority of our parishioners hail from Ecuador, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and other countries in the Caribbean and Latin America. Liturgies are celebrated in English and Spanish. Applicants must possess competent organ, choral, and organizational skills. Thorough knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy and the capability of working collaboratively with the pastor, clergy, and parish staff are also necessary. While there are currently no parish choirs, the director would be tasked with developing, promoting, and directing a parish choral program with two parish choirs (adult and children’s). This position is perfect for someone who would like to build a sacred music program from the ground up, and is interested in working with adults and children, helping to form them through music and liturgy.
Responsibilities of the Director of Sacred Music:
- Provide music for 6 weekend Masses, including two Vigils (5:00pm English; 7:00pm Spanish; 7:30am Spanish; 9:00am English; 11:00am Spanish; 12:30pm English)
- Develop, promote, and direct an adult choir and a children’s choir
- Provide music for holy day liturgies (2 Vigils and 2 Masses of the Day)
- Provide music for sacramental and seasonal celebrations (Benediction, Stations of the Cross, etc.)
- Provide music for Solemn Vespers Sunday evenings in Advent and Lent
- Produce hymn programs to facilitate congregational participation at Mass for special celebrations throughout the year
- Play and sing funerals and weddings (provides additional income)
- Organize and execute a service of Lessons and Carols during the Advent season
- Maintain the parish music library and music budget, as well as recruit and train cantors and other musicians
- Salary is based on education and experience, and a full benefits package is available.
- Weddings and funerals provide additional income. The Parish averages 50 funerals and 15 weddings per year.
- Instrument: 3-manual Albert E. Lloyd Pipe Organ, re-voiced and reconditioned in 1948 by Aeolian-Skinner, who assigned it an opus number (1146), installed a new console, added a four-rank mixture and a twelve-note extension to the pedal reed, and re-voiced all the reeds and all the flute work. The Parish has invested considerably in recent years on the organ and is seriously interested in undergoing a restoration project.
- A part-time position in the school is also available which involves teaching music, directing the school choir, and providing music for all School Masses.
For more information, or to submit a cover letter and resume, please email Fr. Carlos C. Velásquez, Pastor, at email@example.com