Organist (Part-Time) (Annapolis, MD)
Calvary United Methodist Church - Annapolis, MD
Position Description: Calvary UMC seeks a talented, highly qualified individual to serve as organist/accompanist for our established and vibrant music ministry. Reporting directly to the Director of Music, the organist/accompanist is an integral part of worship at Calvary United Methodist Church and contributes significantly to the quality of worship.
Calvary United Methodist Church:
Calvary United Methodist Church is a welcoming and inclusive church, a sanctuary for all as followers of Jesus Christ. Dating back to the Colonial era, Calvary is a historic United Methodist congregation that seeks to build a bridge of faith for all of God's children through prayer, presence, gifts, service, and witness. We are passionate about serving others in the local community and the world. We nurture through vibrant worship, Christian education, fellowship, and ministry opportunities. Our music ministry includes adult choir, handbell choir, praise band, youth music, children’s choir, instrumental ensembles, and soloists.
- Keyboard expertise on pipe organ and piano.
- Exhibit a commitment to the Christian faith.
- Recognize the theological role of music in worship.
- Organizational skills, good interpersonal relationships, and be a team player.
- Commit to the church's vision, mission, leadership, and people.
- Comfort working with children, youth, and adults.
- Knowledge of the traditional music literature and United Methodist hymns.
- Understanding the role of organist in enhancing and inspiring congregational worship through singing.
Preferred Music Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Music degree (organ/keyboard performance, preferred.)
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency on the pipe organ and piano.
- Demonstrated strong accompanying skills (organ/piano) with choirs and individual musicians.
- Demonstrated experience and ability playing in a worship setting.
- Improvisation, composition, and re-harmonization ability is a plus!
Instruments: Möller organ (1971/1990 addition) III manuals/37 rank, 2,012 pipes; Kawai Concert Grand & Steinway Grand Piano; Fahl Harpsichord; Clavinova and Roland digital keyboards.
- Support, maintain, and grow Calvary UMC’s music ministry to the glory of God. Consult with the Director of Music, music staff, and Pastor on all matters related to music at the church.
- Play organ/piano music for the weekly Sunday worship services, and at additional services deemed necessary by the Pastor or Director of Music, including but not limited to Sunday Worship, Ash Wednesday, Holy Week Services, Christmas Eve, and others. The Organist is the first-call for funerals, memorial services, and weddings as able, with fees paid by participating parties.
- Provide accompaniment in rehearsal each week with the Calvary Choir & with other ensembles or soloists, as needed.
- Serve as principal music leadership in the absence of the Director of Music.
- Establish a personal weekly rehearsal time at the organ, coordinated with the church facility calendar.
- Collaborate with the Director of Music and clergy for planning and preparation of worship services in selecting appropriate repertoire (i.e. voluntaries, offertory, communion).
- Submit the titles and composers of music literature to the church office for inclusion in each church service bulletin.
- Work with the Director of Music to order music and manage upkeep/maintenance of the church’s keyboard instruments.
- Coordinate and prepare qualified substitutes for all absences.
Compensation/Scheduling: Commensurate with experience and education; Starting at $28K.
To apply: Interested candidates should send their resume and other relevant information to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Attn: Organist Search