Organist (Part Time) (Westport, CT)
Green’s Farms Church (UCC) in Westport, CT seeks an experienced, highly-qualified organist for our vibrant music ministry. The organist helps us live the vision of the church by supporting a participative music ministry which focuses not just on performance but also on inspiration, enabling a multi-generational congregation to engage with their faith and each other. The organist reports to the Director of Music, who directs the choir, oversees the music program, and collaborates with the Senior Minister and other staff members to plan, prepare and provide organ music for all worship services.
Our 1964 Aeolian Skinner pipe organ has been refurbished by Peragallo and has just been reinstalled in our Meetinghouse. It includes a new 4-manual console, 26 ranks and 100 Walker digital samples. We are searching for an organist who can truly showcase this instrument.
Our music ministry consists of an active volunteer choir augmented with four professional soloists, a praise band, handbell choir, and seasonal women’s and children’s choirs. Special services also include orchestral instrumentalists. Our weekly Sunday morning worship service incorporates a blend of both traditional and contemporary music, and the ideal candidate will be willing to incorporate the organ (and sometimes piano) into multiple genres of music.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Sunday: Select and play a prelude and postlude for one weekly worship service at 10:00am; accompany hymns, songs, and choral anthems. Rehearse with the choir at 9:00am.
- Thursday: Rehearse with the choir from 7:15-8:45pm
- Assist Director of Music in maintenance of the organ and pianos
- Schedule substitute organist during vacation and other necessary absences
- Rehearse and play for special services including, but not limited to: Two Easter services, two Christmas Eve services, Nativity Pageant, Ash Wednesday, and Maundy Thursday.
- Provide music notes for church communications upon request
- Advanced degree in Music
- Previous experience in church music and familiarity with traditional hymns and sacred choral repertoire
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency on the organ and piano in both performance and accompaniment
- Collaborative approach to working and making music with others, including non-professional musicians.
- Supportive of the vision and mission of Green’s Farms Church
- Sheet music for choral anthems will be supplied to the organist when they are selected for the choir to learn, and final choices for Sunday hymns and choral anthems will be shared with the organist by EOD Tuesday before that week’s worship service.
- The organist is welcome at all staff meetings, but attendance is not mandatory.
- This is considered a part-time position with the expectation that the organist will spend an average of 10 hours per week over the course of the calendar year. This expectation of work hours is in recognition of the fact that the adult choir and special music events are on hiatus/reduced hours from mid-June until end August.
- This position is entitled to 4 Sundays off per year which should be agreed and approved in advance with the Director of Music.
- This position does not include music services requested by members for personal events such as memorial services or weddings. As such, it is acknowledged that those are separate for hire activities from this position.
- The position will ideally begin in the Fall, 2021.
- Salary $25,000
Send resume and links to any samples (video only) to
Jennifer Sisco, Interim Director of Music