Production Editor (Minneapolis, MN)
Augsburg Fortress is an imprint of 1517 Media publishing resources for the ELCA and mainline churches that enliven worship and music, faith formation, and congregational life. 1517 Media is a dynamic team of publishing professionals seeking to grow our publishing program. We publish high-quality books and create multimedia resources for Christian communities, higher education learning and scholars, and the general reader. 1517 Media strives to create an environment of inclusiveness, equity, and respect for all regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, nation of origin, race, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. We encourage candidates who thrive in a welcoming environment to apply.
Production Editor (Remote, United States)
Within the Publishing House of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (1517 Media), Augsburg Fortress (AF) creates substantive and innovative materials to support the ministries of faith communities in communicating the good news of God’s liberating grace, with a particular focus on Lutheran congregations. Augsburg Fortress publishes approximately 50 titles a year in the Augsburg Music portfolio, with a focus on traditional and liturgical choral and keyboard music as well as congregational song. Additionally, Augsburg Fortress publishes a robust portfolio of annual worship planning materials, primarily in the Sundays and Seasons family of resources.
The purpose of the Production Editor position is to carry out editorial and project management roles in order to ensure that the Augsburg Music and worship planning publication programs meet customer needs for usefulness, accessibility, appropriateness, and high quality of both content and presentation.
The Production Editor will:
- Assist in the editorial production process for Augsburg Fortress music and worship resources in aspects such as copyright and permissions, design, engraving, page composition, content assembly, and proofing.
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of digital content and other assets for AF’s two online planning platforms, SundaysandSeasons.com and PreludeMusicPlanner.org.
- Maintain the AF digital music archive.
- Manage the music reprint process in collaboration with the Senior Project Manager and Purchasing staff.
- Participate as an active member of the Congregational Team and related Central Services to seek improvements in editorial and team processes.
- Maintain and grow knowledge of current musical and liturgical issues and trends to spark innovation and undergird continuous product improvement.
- Maintain and grow knowledge of current music technology as well as other production issues and trends to spark innovation and undergird continuous product improvement.
- Represent Augsburg Fortress as assigned in the context of organizations and events.
- Participate in strategic, tactical, and budget planning.
Desired education and experience:
- B.A. in music (Masters’ preferred) or other closely related field with strong background in English.
- 3-5 years experience in music publishing or related media fields desirable.
- 3-5 years experience as a liturgical church musician, especially organ and/or choral, highly desirable.
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong project management skills combined with strong collaboration skills.
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects and a high volume of overlapping publication schedules with demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to evaluate creative work and product concepts to ensure alignment with overall goals.
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative environment within and beyond the workplace.
- Strong editorial skills, both textual and musical, with demonstrated proficiency in music theory and linguistic usage.
- Proficiency in music engraving (Finale preferred), page composition (InDesign), and general office software (Microsoft Office).
- Familiarity with digital music development as well as music permissions and licensing.
- Familiarity with mainline denominational worship and music life is critical; familiarity with ELCA constituency and with Lutheran confessional and liturgical/musical tradition highly desirable.
- Direct involvement in church music ministry a plus.
- Eagerness to pursue professional development toward personal and organizational improvement.
- Willingness to travel to represent Augsburg Fortress as assigned (estimated at 10%).
Please include your resume, cover letter, and references with your application. Apply using the specified link: https://bit.ly/3fLDTLT
1517 Media offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including vacation for new employees, sick time, health, retirement, a pre-tax transportation program, and no-cost gym access in the building. You will join a collaborative and creative hybrid work environment, with a talented group of 85 individuals who have a passion for their work. The beautiful, newly designed corporate headquarters is located near downtown Minneapolis with adjacent access to Light Rail and MetroTransit bus lines.