Program Director, Worship (Winter Park, FL)
With over 2,000 members and an average weekly attendance of 700, First United Methodist of Winter Park is one of the largest congregations in the Florida Conference. Nestled near the center of beautiful, historic Winter Park, FL, our Church was founded about the same time as the city and continues to thrive as a beacon of the community. We are … a vibrant family built on God’s grace, who share a passion for the Word of God, living and serving in the image of Jesus the Christ … and our mission is to make disciples of all people.
Worship is essential to that mission. Our talented congregation enables us to provide meaningful worship in both traditional and contemporary settings. And we are excited to expand that worship in new areas and through new concepts.
Our Program Director, Worship, is responsible for creating and executing worship strategies that lead to profound spiritual experiences. Working with our Senior Pastor and Clergy team, this position leads worship planning, paid and lay staff, and the direction of all music and artistic elements incorporated into the worship service. With the transition to digital worship methods, the Worship Director is central to the organization of all worship components, whether participating in-person or in a remote setting.
Specific functions of the Director include more traditional elements of Church worship such as rehearsal and direction of the adult chancel and bell choirs, arrangement and facilitation of special music ensembles, oversight of a graded children’s choir program, and the integration of liturgical dance into the worship experience. The Director is critical to the development, planning and preparation of all worship activities and experiences related to traditional liturgical seasons (such as Easter and Christmas.)
This position also has oversight of contemporary worship offerings and our ideal candidate possesses experience as part of a praise team or worship group.
We invite you to visit us at https://fumcwp.org/.
Job Qualifications & Skills:
- Support FUMCWP’s vision, core values and commitment to inclusion, inspired by a personal faith in and authentic relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Active, spiritually mature member of a US-based Christian denomination, supplemented by regular, consistent participation in a worship congregation. (Active participation at FUMC Winter Park is expected upon hire.)
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree, certification, or designation preferred.
- Genuine love of Christian music (traditional and contemporary), passion for worship, and vision for their integration into the life of the Church and congregation.
- Previous experience directing musical ensembles, musicians and/or vocalists.
- Well-formed knowledge of sacred music and hymnody, Wesleyan tradition preferred.
- Demonstrated music knowledge and proficiency with the ability to play an instrument (preferably piano, organ, or guitar) for worship accompaniment purposes.
- Strong relational and leadership skills with the ability to lead, inspire and engage a multi-generational congregation while driving a collaborative team and worship environment.
- Ability to resolve conflict in an efficient, professional and Christ-like manner.
- High level of discretion and emotional intelligence with the ability to handle sensitive information and maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Previous relevant experience in a church-related, faith-based, or religious non-profit environment or organization.
- Understanding of lay-led discipleship and leadership within a lay staff church structure.
- Broad skills and knowledge of multimedia applications, computer software, and audio/visual equipment, particularly with regard to worship programming and music engineering.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to excel in a diverse, collaborative team environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to adapt messages in an audience-appropriate fashion.
- Proactive, progressive-thinking and positive approach and attitude.