Job Title: Minster of Music
Organization Name: First Congregational Church of St. Louis
Organization Website: www.firstcongregational.org
Salary Range (optional): $50,000 DOE
First Congregational Church of St. Louis (FCC) (www.firstcongregational.org),
an open and affirming congregation, seeks a Minister of Music to fill the
vacancy created by the retirement of our long-term Director of Music. This
is a full-time position responsible for developing and managing a dynamic,
multi-faceted music and worship program at FCC. The Minister of Music will
contribute actively towards the spiritual and artistic life of the
congregation and ensure an inspiring musical experience through
congregational worship, performances and community events. Please submit a
cover letter along with your resume.
• Plans and coordinates the total church music program, including all
worship, musical performances, and other programs.
• Recruits for and directs and/or supervises all choirs, hand bells,
children’s choirs, instrumentalists, ensembles, and guests musicians.
• Plans and prepares the music for all regular and special services of
worship in consultation with the Senior Pastor, incorporating a diversity of
genres, styles, and instrumentation in the worship services.
• Networks with other colleagues, local musicians, and colleges in the
community and incorporates outside groups into the worship services.
• Schedules rehearsals, retreats, and continuing education as appropriate
for each choir/ensemble.
• Collaborates with the Senior Pastor and Worship and Education Committee
to integrate music with the worship service and sermon themes.
• Acts as administrator of the music program including budget development
and oversight, personnel management, and maintenance of musical instruments.
• Provides staff support for boards and committees related to the music
ministry of the congregation and collaborates on integrative projects with
other boards and ministries.
• Actively participates in weekly staff meetings and provides appropriate
schedules of weekly music activities.
• Develops future music programs inclusive of, but not limited to:
additional choirs, youth choir, in-house ensembles, and various concert
• Selects pieces that are theologically appropriate for a progressive
church and encourages the use of inclusive language in performances.
• Works independently and as part of the Church Staff and lay leadership
“teams” to accomplish both routine tasks and special projects/events,
support FCC’s mission and vision, and perform tasks in a manner consistent
with standards of professional practice (including but not limited to)
confidentiality, strong work ethic, self-directed work activities, conflict
management, and good communication.
• Bachelor’s Degree in music related area; Advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 3 years of experience with choral conducting and experience in
• Proficiency and experience in playing both organ and piano accompaniment
(the FCC has a fine Austin Organ 1929/1994 with 4 manuals and 52 ranks, a
Moller Organ with 2 manuals and 4 ranks, two fine grand pianos in the
Sanctuary and a smaller grand in the choral rehearsal room)
• Proficiency and experience in choral and instrumental direction.
• Experience in church music that encompasses diverse cultures, faith
traditions, and musical styles.
• Demonstrated understanding of membership/volunteer organization structure
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
• Outgoing, friendly personality with a sense of Christian mission, as well
as a sense of humor.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter and copy of your
resume with references. If possible, please also submit appropriate
audio/video resources, or links of performances or worship services.
Materials may be submitted by e-mail or by regular mail to:
Andrew Ruben, Chair
Minister of Music Search Committee
First Congregational Church of St. Louis
c/o Paule, Camazine & Blumenthal, P.C.
165 N. Meramec Ave., Suite 110
St. Louis, MO 63130
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Approx. $50,000.00/year, commensurate with experience, plus full
benefits package including employer-paid pension, health and related
• Choral conducting: 3 years
• Proficiency on organ and piano accompanying
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree or equivalent preferred
Post Date: February 20, 2018
Preferred Start Date: Summer of 2018
Contact Email: email@example.com