Job Title: Principal Orgnaist (Full Time Organist)
Organization Name: St. Eleanor Catholic Church
Organization Website: https://www.steleanor.com/
Salary Range (optional):
The Principal Organist is a professional who holds credentials and/or
experience in music and is a person of faith who has a thorough understanding
of the Roman Catholic liturgy. This person is responsible for effective and
prayerful playing of organ music within the liturgical celebrations of Saint
Eleanor Parish. He/She must be willing to share a vision of how the parish
can develop our music ministries and worship so as to enhance the Sunday
Worship Experience of all our parish family. This vision comes from the
Parish Priests in collaboration with the Director of Sacred Music enlivened
by the vision of the Amazing Parish Team. This is a full time position in a
large, vibrant suburban parish. It includes flexible working hours that
involves evenings, weekends, and special liturgies as necessary.
Director of Sacred Music and Pastor and/or Pastor’s Delegate
• Fosters personal and spiritual growth with Jesus Christ our Lord in the
fulfillment of this role.
• Cooperates with the Director of Sacred Music as well as the parish
priests in helping the parish family to worship the Lord fully and
passionately as disciples.
• Prepares for and plays organ music at the following Weekend Masses: 4:30
pm Saturday Vigil, Sunday - 7:30, 10:30 am, 12 Noon throughout the academic
year and 7:00 pm Sunday Mass during the Summer.
• Prepares for and plays the organ for the celebrations of First Penance,
First Holy Communion and Confirmation, Forty Hours, Ash Wednesday, Easter
Triduum, Stations of the Cross, Christmas, Holy Days, Masses for Healing,
Mass with Anointing of the Sick, Memorial Day, July 4. This includes needed
practices. Any other liturgical celebrations as needed.
• Receives from the Director of Sacred Music the selection of music and
hymns to be played for the parish liturgies.
• Collaborates with the Director of Sacred Music while planning liturgical
music for parish liturgies.
• In consultation with the Director of Sacred Music, plays and participates
at rehearsals for the Adult & Children choir.
• Rehearses and directs the Adult choir and Children’s choir in the
absence of the Director of Sacred Music.
• Accompanies the First Friday School Masses as well as Stations of the
Cross during Lent.
• Cooperates with the Director of Sacred Music in ensuring that copyright
regulations are properly adhered to regarding music reprinting.
• Maintains a professional and good working relationship with the Director
of Sacred Music, parish clergy, parish staff, Choirs, Cantors, other music
groups, local church musicians and other community resources including
Ursinus College and the Community Music School.
• Assists in the implementation of archdiocesan and parish policies
concerning sacred music. This includes participation, as available, at
regular opportunities for musicians to attend archdiocesan workshops on
• Enjoys the right of first request to play for parish weddings and
funerals, which have a separate stipend.
• Is willing and able to draw people consistently to joyful and responsible
participation in the music ministry at Saint Eleanor.
• Assist’s as organist at the annual parish Christmas concert as well as
other concert opportunities that may be planned.
• Maintains proper working condition of the organ and the piano.
• Assists/cooperates in setting up chairs, music stands, microphones and
other equipment as needed.
• Other Tasks as determined by the Pastor or Pastor’s Delegate.
EDUCATIONAL / CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Degree in organ performance or equivalent professional experience
• Accomplished organist with improvisational and piano skills.
• Possesses knowledge of quality organ and choral repertoire.
• Proficient sight reading ability.
• Some singing ability.
• Good working knowledge of the Church’s teaching on sacred music as put
forth in documents such as Sacrosanctum Concilium, Musicae Sacrae, Tra le
Sollecitudini, Sing to the Lord, etc.
• Completion of Virtus and all Safe Environment Programs and up-to-date
clearances as required by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the
Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
• Valid Driver’s license.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Fully initiated, participating member of the Roman Catholic Church, on
fire for Jesus Christ, committed to growing as His disciple and helping
others to be disciples
• Possesses a thorough knowledge of and commitment to the teachings,
beliefs, and life of the Roman Catholic Church
• Able to work evenings and weekends, as needed
• Self-motivated and possesses the ability to relate and work well with
people of all ages in a team environment and as a team member
• Previous Parish work experience preferred
PAID VACATION TIME / SUBSTITUTE TIME
• There are 2 weekends of vacation time and 2 other Personal weekends
Interested candidates should send resume and salary requirements to Elizabeth
Calabro at email@example.com
Church of St. Eleanor
647 Locust Street
Collegeville, PA 19426
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org