Acting Director of Worship (Washington DC)
The Acting Director of Worship serves as an Independent Contractor in a one-year Part-time position. The primary purpose of the Acting Director of Worship is to glorify God by proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ through the Music Ministry, that includes the Adult Choir, Children’s Choir, and leading the congregation in worship music.
The Acting Director of Worship is responsible for helping to rebuild the music ministry after COVID-19. The ideal candidate is optimistic, people-focused, and vision-driven. The focus of the Music Ministry is an emphasis on musical genres that promote both traditional and contemporary intergenerational worship. The expectations of the Music Ministry are to remember that God is the intended audience, which denotes a commitment to excellence; and a practice and prioritization of reverence for all who participate in the Music Ministry. The value of musicians is recognized and prioritized to foster excellent performance. The Acting Director of Worship views leading music as a privilege and encourages musicians to rejoice in that privilege with joyfulness.
The Acting Director of Worship is responsible for the organization, development, implementation and leadership of the adult choir, children’s choir, and leading the congregation in worship. The Acting Director of Worship demonstrates the ability to teach a wide range of sacred music genres and styles. The Acting Director of Worship possesses a perceptive understanding of current Church Worship trends; and how to incorporate new music technologies in a comprehensive approach to building music ministries through workshops and program development.
The Director of Worship serves as a resource to support, foster and coordinate the worship and spiritual life of the congregation through congregational, choral and instrumental music. The Acting Director of Worship helps the clergy, organist, and volunteers to plan and coordinate Worship Services and related activities. Sunday Worship Services are in-person and live streamed. There will be at least two Saturday evening Services each month.
This position is under the direct management of the Senior Minister. The Acting Director of Worship should help inspire a shared vision consistent with the overall vision of Peoples Congregational United Church of Christ.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBIITIES:
- The Acting Director of Worship is responsible for the organization, development, implementation and leadership of the adult choir, children’s choir, and leading the congregation in worship.
- Rehearse the Choir weekly, either in-person or virtually.
- Help promote fellowship and help recruit new volunteers into the music ministry.
- Collaborate with the Senior Minister and organist in planning weekly worship.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND Responsibilities (Cont’d.):
- Help manage the music ministry budget preparation and submit required reports, estimates, and voucher requests for guest musicians by specific deadlines.
- Communicate effectively with church staff, ministers, and members of the music ministry.
- Work closely with the multimedia team regarding all audio and visual needs
- Adhere to the guidelines of the Independent Contractor Agreement.
- Demonstrate a relationship with God through faith with a belief in and adherence to the Bible as God’s Holy Word; and a growing theology and practice of Christ-centered worship.
- Exemplify performance of excellent leadership and management of multiple and diverse groups of people.
- Possess substantial practical experience in music education, training or leadership may be considered in lieu of education.
- Possess skills and experience in keyboarding and proficiency in the use of the organs and pianos (use of Hammond and Allen 4-manual 95 Series, a plus).
- Demonstrate effective communication; exercises good judgment and professionalism.
- Exhibit problem-solving skills and practices relevant to effective leadership.
- Demonstrate professional standards and ethics; committed to engaging in on-going professional development.
- Display ability to understand music terminology; identify theological quality and accuracy of lyrics
- Exhibit excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office programs, specifically Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Finale Notation Software.
- Commit to a blended musical repertoire through demonstration of directing skills with adult choirs and youth choirs with a congregational setting.
Bachelor’s degree in music (preferred but not required)
Read and teach music
Experience in organizing and directing traditional and contemporary styles of musical worship
Experience in mentoring and developing worship leadership gifts in others