Artistic Director (White Plains, New York)
Westchester Choral Society
White Plains NY
Type of Position:
Monday, February 28, 2022
ABOUT WESTCHESTER CHORAL SOCIETY: Founded in 1942, WCS is an auditioned SATB chorus – and a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization – comprised of approximately 45 singers from the Westchester County area. We aspire to an ever-growing artistic and technical mastery. Our adventurous and varied programming, drawing from the best of chorus repertoire, features piano/organ accompaniment and occasional instrumentalists or ensembles. WCS performs two major programs during the year at locations in Westchester. Our core values commit us to high levels of group performance through individual preparation; collegial, supportive, respectful, and accountable relationships; diversity in our programming, singers, and audience; and belief in the transformative power of choral art. Our website is westchesterchoralsociety.org.
We seek an Artistic Director to implement the artistic and strategic vision of the Chorus.
- Advanced degree in Music preferred, minimum of Bachelor degree in Music, with significant conducting experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in choral and orchestral conducting
- Experience working with adult choruses of serious amateur and professional musicians in choral techniques, vocal production, musicianship, languages, and musical background/historical context
- Demonstrated excellence in choral programming and performance/rehearsal planning
- Broad knowledge of diverse choral repertoire
- Demonstrated well-developed interpersonal communication skills and sense of humor
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Carry out artistic decisions with advice and consent of the Board of Directors
- Research and recommend appropriate music for the upcoming season
- Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission, possibly including virtual/online collaborations as opportunities arise
- Audition and engage keyboard accompanist and vocal soloists, instrumentalists, and orchestral contractors as needed
- Program repertoire; provide a rolling three-year plan for programmatic activities, including budget projections
- Write program notes as needed to meet print/production schedules.
- Plan and conduct weekly rehearsals on Tuesdays from 7:00-9:30pm in White Plains NY during the September-May season and additional rehearsals as needed; communicate rehearsal plans to singers in advance
- Conduct two major concerts with final rehearsals per season
- Conduct auditions for prospective singers; re-audition current singers as required
- Arrange for and facilitate the recording and timely posting of rehearsal tracks as needed
- Maintain good working relationship with the Accompanist, communicating regularly regarding rehearsal plans, tempos, and other performance details
- Identify and oversee activities of Chorus Section Leaders; communicate with Section Leaders regarding repertoire to rehearse in sectionals
- Work with Librarian to ensure that current season music is selected and purchased in timely fashion
- Attend Board meetings ex officio and provide a report to the Board; attend Chorus Annual Meeting and make annual report to the Chorus
- Assist Finance Committee in planning annual budget
- Write narratives as needed for projects or publicity, potentially to include social media
- Be available for occasional media interviews
- Assist in development of grant proposals, grant budgets and fundraising messaging
Westchester Choral Society resumed in-person rehearsals in September 2021 after 18 months of Zoom-enabled choral rehearsals and enrichment activities. Rehearsals take place in a space with appropriate ventilation. All personnel are required to show proof of full vaccination, wear masks, and physically distance, and otherwise adhere to COVID policies as informed by public health and state government guidance. Some flexibility with schedule and performance may be needed until the pandemic is over.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range: $16,000-$22,000, depending on qualifications and experience
Email the following to the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter describing who you are, why you are applying and current resume/CV (PDF preferred)
- Phone and email information for 3-4 professional references, at least one familiar with your choral conducting
- Samples of 2-3 past programs that exemplify your work
- Links to video(s) that demonstrate your conducting in rehearsal (preferred) or performance.
Applications will be considered with priority given to those received before February 28, 2022. Applications will be kept confidential.