Choir Section Leaders (1 Tenor, 1 Bass) (Wilton, CT)
July 12, 2022
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, Wilton
$200 per week
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church, Wilton seeks skilled singers to be Section Leaders who will enrich the prayer and worship life of the community through the ministry of music. Music at St. Matthew’s is a vital part of our life and ministry together. We have a long tradition of faithful and formative choirs for children and adults, a long-running concert series, and numerous, formidable musical instruments on our campus. The Rector, the Vestry and the Director of Music Ministries & Organist are committed to a high-quality, inclusive music program where children and adults experience meaningful spiritual formation.
● Sing with St. Matthew’s Church Choir throughout the program year, September–June.
● Perform choral music (e.g. service settings, canticles, psalmody, anthems, hymns, etc.) weekly in the 10:00am Sunday morning worship service (with a rehearsal at 9:00am).
● Attend rehearsals weekly on Thursday evenings, 7:30–9:00pm.
● Sing for additional services on Ash Wednesday, during Holy Week, on Christmas Eve and other major feasts, as arranged.
● Occasionally sing for Evensong services on Sunday afternoons (exact schedule TBD).
● Occasionally join the Choir for concert performances.
● Sing solos when called upon.
● Lead the other members of the section vocally and, when appropriate, verbally.
● If necessary, learn the music in advance of rehearsals and services.
● Arrange for a suitable substitute singer in the event of absence.
● Meet with the Director of Music Ministries & Organist outside of rehearsals, as arranged, for discussions about planning, administration, review, etc.
● Music degree, either completed or in-progress, or equivalent experience
● Excellent vocal skill, musicianship, ensemble skills and music-reading ability
● Familiarity with the music and liturgy of the Episcopal Church
● High degree of professionalism, i.e. reliability, punctuality, responsiveness
● Desire to work with amateur musicians and young people
● Desire to lead worship through music and to enrich the spiritual lives of the Choir and congregation
The Director of Music Ministries & Organist
● $100 basic call fee (i.e. $200 per week or more depending on exact schedule)
● Pay to be reviewed annually
● Additional fees for concert performances and special services
● To apply, email the Director of Music Ministries & Organist, Andrew Leslie Cooper, at
firstname.lastname@example.org with a message of interest.
● Include an up-to-date résumé and recent recording of your singing if you have one.
● Audition-interviews will be held as arranged in August.
● At audition, candidates will be asked to sing a piece of their choosing and to perform a few items of choral music at sight.
Successful candidates will be required to consent to a criminal background check and to undergo training in the SafeChurch policies of the Episcopal Church in Connecticut.