Director of Music and Fine Arts (Claremont, CA)
The Director of Music and Fine Arts of Claremont United Church of Christ is responsible for developing and managing a dynamic, multi-faceted music and fine arts program at CUCC. The director will ensure an inspiring musical and fine arts experience through congregational worship and community events.
- Plans and coordinates the total church music and fine arts program, including all worship, musical performances, and other programs.
- Recruits for and directs and/or supervises all choirs, hand bells, children’s choirs, instrumentalists, ensembles, and guests musicians.
- Plans and prepares the music for all regular and special services of worship in consultation with Senior Pastors, incorporating a diversity of genres, styles, and instrumentation in the worship services.
- Networks with other colleagues, local musicians, and colleges in the community and regularly incorporates outside groups into the worship services.
- Schedules rehearsals, retreats, and continuing education as appropriate for each choir/ensemble.
- Collaborates with the Senior Pastors to integrate music and fine arts with the worship service and sermon themes.
- Acts as administrator of the music and fine arts programs including budget development and oversight, personnel management, and maintenance of musical instruments.
- Provides staff support for boards and committees related to the music and arts ministries of the congregation and collaborates on integrative projects with other boards and ministries.
- Actively participates in weekly staff meetings and provides appropriate schedules of weekly music activities.
- Organizes and expands the music library and ensures all copyright permissions are in place.
- Develops future music programs inclusive of, but not limited to: additional choirs, youth choir, in-house ensembles, various concert series.
- Selects pieces that are theologically appropriate for a progressive church and encourages the use of inclusive language in performances.
- Follows CUCC Policy and the procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Works independently and as part of the Church Staff and lay leadership “teams” to accomplish both routine tasks and special projects/events, support CUCC’s mission and vision, and perform tasks in a manner consistent with standards of professional practice (including but not limited to) confidentiality, strong work ethic, self-directed work activities, conflict management, and good communication.
- Advanced degree in music or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with choral conducting and experience in sacred conducting.
- Proficiency and experience in playing both organ and piano accompaniment preferred.
- Proficiency and experience in choral and instrumental direction.
- Experience in church music that encompasses diverse cultures, faith traditions, and musical styles.
- An appreciation of the Fine Arts.
- Demonstrated understanding of membership/volunteer organization structure and operation.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- Outgoing, friendly personality with a sense of Christian mission, as well as a sense of humor.
- Strong written and verbal communication; good “customer service.”