Director of Music (Montclair, NJ)
Director of Music – part time
Union Congregational Church, Montclair, NJ
We seek a Director of Music who will lead our vibrant music program that serves the spiritual needs of our congregation. The ideal candidate will have excellent choral conducting skills, experience as a church music director, knowledge of a broad range of music styles and will be eager to collaborate with the clergy and our many professional and amateur musicians to explore new ways to use music to enrich our worship services and affirm and give voice to our love of God. The Director will collaborate with a keyboard accompanist.
We welcome worshipers from all faiths, backgrounds, and beliefs who seek a closer relationship with God. https://unioncong.org Our open and affirming progressive Christian Protestant congregation is affiliated with the United Church of Christ ucc.org and includes members whose talents span a broad range of professions, including the arts, media, finance, education, medicine, and business. Our principles are included in our Statement of Purpose.
- Strong foundation in sacred music, with experience in a broad range of worship music genres.
- Professional experience in choral conducting and coaching.
- Excellent musician with strong keyboard skills.
- Ability to inspire and work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and members of congregation.
- Appreciation of the progressive theology of the United Church of Christ and a clear understanding of how that theology informs music in church services.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Collaborates with clergy to plan worship services through the selection of appropriate musical pieces that support the themes and messages of the service.
- Leads music in worship, including conducting the choir and congregational singing.
- Conducts rehearsals for the choirs, nurturing new participation and a positive environment for choir members.
- Provides leadership and supervision for the Director of Youth and Children’s Choirs, Choir Section Leaders, accompanists, and guest musicians.
- Conducts the Handbell Choir.
- Selects, schedules and coordinates accompanists and guest musicians to add variety and diversity to our services.
- Recruits and hires musical staff.
- Manages music budget and coordinates fund raising activities such as concerts.
- Organizes and supports non-worship musical programming and activities in our church that enrich our congregational life and reach out to the broader Montclair community.
- Attends staff meetings and monthly committee meetings.
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the church's musical instruments.
- Ensures musical resources including the music library are maintained in good order.
Qualifications and Requirements
- At least two years of experience as a church music director.
- High level of professionalism and proficiency in many kinds of music.
- Demonstrated experience in choral conducting and coaching.
- Proficiency in keyboard skills suitable to leading choral rehearsals.
- Experience in conducting Handbell Choirs is desirable.
- Personal alignment with Union’s Statement of Purpose
- Familiarity with progressive Protestant worship services, music, and hymnody.
- Experience with and willingness to explore different forms of music for use in worship service.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills with a strong emphasis on listening and problem solving.
- Bachelor’s degree in music, music education or a related field.
Our Instruments include:
- Austin full-pipe organ (1970) in good working condition.
- Steinway Grand Piano in excellent condition, two baby grand practice pianos.
- Harpsichord – fully restored and in good working condition.
- Handbells – full range
- Reports to the Senior Minister
- Flexible, part-time position with attendance required on Sunday mornings, rehearsals and periodic meetings with staff and lay leaders during the week (15-20 hours per week).
- Compensation is aligned with similar positions in the New York metro area.
- Excellent benefits are available.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to provide a resume, cover letter, and a musical sample via e-mail to: email@example.com