Director of Music / Organist (Ellington, CT)
Director of Music / Organist – Part Time
Ellington Congregational Church UCC,
72 Main Street PO Box 216, Ellington, CT 06029
Church Phone: 860-871-6606 Church Website: www.eccucc.org
Church Office Email: SEC-ECCucc@SBCglobal.net
Position: Organist & Director of Music (Part Time ~ 24 hours per week)
Effective: August 15, 2021
The Director of Music creates and implements the artistic vision for the ministry of music throughout the life of the Church; directly leading the music ministry for the worship service, choirs, youth music program, and special music services.
Ellington Congregational Church seeks an individual rooted in the Christian Faith who will inspire us to evolve and grow. The Director of Music will use a variety of music styles and instruments to give an uplifting voice in praise of God, expressing our joy, hope, appreciation and gratitude. Ellington Congregational Church embraces a traditional music program based upon both classical and contemporary choral, piano and organ music as well as instrumental offerings of chimes, handbells, violin, recorders and other musical instruments.
As an integral part of the leadership team, the Director of Music works with the Pastor, staff, music committee, worship committee, volunteer choirs and instrumentalists to prepare and deliver music for Sunday services and other church services and programs. Our Sunday service contains and embraces many forms of music that are both traditional and contemporary in an informal and family focused environment. Our Sunday worship service is a traditional but relaxed service with a variety of congregants with a small town feel. Participation of adult and children/youth choirs with singing, organ, piano, handbells, chimes, wind and string instruments are a regular part of our music ministry supporting the message and experience of our service.
- Accomplished organ and piano recital soloist, service player, improviser and collaborative artist.
- Advanced training and experience in traditional and contemporary choral repertoire and conducting.
- Experience in training and managing volunteer choirs and instrumentalists.
- Experience leading adult and youth music programs of vocal and instrumental music (choral, handbell, chimes, string & wind instruments).
- Choral and instrumental experience and expertise in conducting hymnody. We currently use the Disciples of Christ “Chalice Hymnal”.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communications skills.
Instruments & Music Equipment
- Organ - Steere & Son's 2M 13Rank pipe organ (restored 1997)
- Pianos – 2 Upright pianos (sanctuary & social room) 1 Yamaha Digital Piano (meeting room)
- Handbells / Chimes – 5 octaves Malmark handbells and 3 octaves Malmark handchimes
Responsibilities Summary and Detail
- Working with the pastor, staff and worship committee; selects music and leads the congregation to participate in hymnody and grow in their understanding of music’s relationship to scripture and spirituality.
- Music for Worship Service - Sunday in-person sanctuary service and Sunday digital streamed Sunday service (one each week). Serves as the primary organist and pianist for Ellington Congregational Church for its services and programs. Music for Worship Services (Prelude, Postlude, Hymns, Anthems, service music, etc.). Maintains a list of approved substitute musicians.
- Serves as the primary organist and pianist for special music services and events (Annual Meeting, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Palm Sunday, Easter, Christmas Eve, etc.). Available for wedding and funeral services. Maintains a list of approved guest musicians.
- Choir Director - One rehearsal per week for the Senior Choir and Sr Handbell Choir during the program year (September - Pentecost Sunday in June).
- Youth Music Program (Jr. Choir, Chime Choir, Jr. Handbell Choir) Conducts 3 rehearsals per month during the program year (September thru May). Presents a Christmas Pageant & Easter Music program working with other staff and lay/music leaders.
- Provides for the care and maintenance of all church owned musical instruments (Organ, Pianos, Handbells, Chimes, etc.).
- Maintains organ, piano, choir and handbell music library. Orders music and other supplies.
- Teaches and brings to life the Church’s vision for music and its relation to spiritual growth.
- Demonstrates knowledge and respect for all participants creating an inclusive environment.
- Inspires the congregation to participate in the group singing of hymns.
- Develops regular and effective communication channels that engage church leaders, congregation and staff; actively listens and brings forward suggestions to integrate input.
- Promotes the growth and reach of our music ministry, ensuring development of self, staff, volunteers and participants.
- Works closely with the other worship teams, staff and lay leadership to build a cohesive worship experience.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
Please send the following documents / information to our email address: email@example.com
- Cover letter to search committee and current resume.
- Professional references.
- Digital Media – samples of: Worship Service Organ Performance including Choral Conducting, Prelude and Postlude music, hymn accompaniment on Organ (Piano, Keyboard, other instruments).