Director of Sacred Music (Sun City, Arizona)
Director of Sacred Music
St. Clement of Rome Catholic Parish, Sun City, AZ
The successful candidate helps coordinate and lead the parish’s sacred music program under the guidance and direction of the Pastor. This supports the Pastor’s duty to ensure a prayerful and reverent offering of the Mass and other liturgical events. A Bachelor’s Degree in Music (or equivalent) and a strong knowledge of Catholic liturgical worship is required. The successful candidate should have at least five years’ experience in leading a parish music program or equivalent.
This is a salary, exempt position. Salary will be based on experience and according to Diocese of Phoenix salary schedules.
St. Clement of Rome Parish is located in Sun City, Arizona, an unincorporated community which requires residents to be 55 years of age or older. The parish boundaries are completely within the Sun City area. There are no programs for children or youth in the parish and most activities take place during the day with a mostly retired congregation.
The parish census shows around 1,500 households, which are normally one or two person households.
The music for St. Clement of Rome is a combination of piano and organ music, with no other instruments other than the human voice.
The parish sacred music program is part of the mission of the Catholic Church for the Salvation of Souls, to foster prayer and devotion to Jesus Christ, especially present in the Holy Eucharist. At no time should elements of common entertainment or performance be used or encouraged.
• Participate in the operations of the parish and be part of a team that collaborates and assists with all parish projects.
• Maintain a close working relationship with the pastor to implement the pastoral vision of the parish.
• Work with the Parish Liturgy Planning Team.
• Coordinate all music for liturgies of the parish which have music, including but not limited to the regular weekend schedule, as well as Holy Days of Obligation and Holy Week.
• Weekend Mass schedule is 4:00 p.m. Saturday (Vigil); 7:00 a.m.; 9:00 a.m.; 11:00 a.m. Sunday. A seasonal overflow Mass in the parish hall on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. and the regular 7:00 a.m. Sunday Mass in the church are without music.
• Coordinate all music for funerals and weddings held at the parish.
• Recruit, form, and direct a parish choir or choirs.
• Schedule and attend all practices and rehearsals.
• Recruit, form, and direct Cantors and other accompanists.
• Maintain and build the parish repertoire for singing at various liturgies.
• Help form parishioners in understanding the place of music in a life of community prayer and worship.
• Keep the parish music library organized.
• Serve as the primary resource for musical matters for staff and parish organizations.
• Work with the parish office in scheduling all necessary use of parish facilities.
• Prepare and manage the budget for the parish music program under the direction of the Pastor.
• Maintain all parish music licenses.
• Produce a weekly worship aid as needed.
• Attend all meetings as required.
• Other duties as needed.
• Knowledgeable of and comfortable with Catholic music literature and forms and styles for both congregations and choirs.
• A thorough understanding of Catholic liturgical principles.
• Is proficient in at least one area of music presentation (keyboard, choral, voice, etc.).
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
Please direct resumes to: