Full Time Professorial Stream - Assistant/Associate Professor for Vocal Performance for applicants who identify as Black. (Toronto, Canada)
Vocal Performance, Department of Music, School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design, York University
The Department of Music, School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design at York University invites highly qualified applicants who identify as Black for a professorial stream tenure-track appointment in Vocal Performance at the Assistant or Associate Professor level, to commence July 1, 2023.
The Department of Music is excited to welcome a colleague to join our diverse community of performers, creators, and researchers within York's School of the Arts, Media, Performance, and Design. Opportunities for partnerships and performance opportunities exist in abundance in Toronto's vibrant music scene, to which York’s Music faculty regularly contribute. This appointment will advance our ongoing commitments to inclusive excellence within the Department, School and University.
Recognizing the underrepresentation of Black faculty, this opportunity supports the University’s Affirmative Action program based on provisions of the Ontario Human Rights Code. This position is part of a cohort hire of new hires across several faculties and a wide range of areas and fields. The successful candidate will join a vibrant scholarly community at York, where we aspire to achieve equity and diversity in all areas, including race equity. York University is invested in Advancing Black Research & Scholarship, and recently announced the recipients of the inaugural York Black Research Seed Fund awards.
• Degree: A Master’s or Doctoral degree in voice (completed or near completion by the time of appointment) or the equivalent to a graduate degree in professional experience.
• Research/Practice Expertise:
o Substantial performance experience in classical vocal settings, as well as significant intersection with other genres of vocal music.
o Innovative and collaborative creative practice.
o Promise of research excellence with proven presentation skills.
o Excellence or promise of excellence in teaching, as evident in the teaching statement and teaching accomplishments.
o Suitability for prompt appointment to the Faculty of Graduate Studies, given that the position may involve graduate teaching and supervision.
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
• This position is open to qualified individuals who self-identify as Black peoples of African descent (for example African and African heritage people from the Caribbean, Americas, and Europe).
• York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact Lora Zuech, administrative assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org
• York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, within its community. The AA Program, which applies to women, members of visible minorities (racialized groups), Aboriginal (Indigenous) people and persons with disabilities, can be found at http://acadjobs.info.yorku.ca/ or by calling the AA line at 416-736-5713. Applicants wishing to self-identify as part of York University’s Affirmative Action program can do so by downloading, completing and submitting this voluntary self-identification form/.
• Due date for completed applications: Monday December 5, 2022.
• Required components: 1) cover letter 2) current CV 3) statement of research 4) statement of teaching philosophy.
• Candidates must also download, complete, and submit a Work Status Declaration form. This is a mandatory form, and no application will be considered without it.
• Letters of reference and teaching evaluations will be requested from short listed candidates.
• Submit materials to Lora Zuech, administrative assistant, at
• York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
• York University supports Indigenous research and education through its Indigenous Framework for York University, the Centre for Indigenous Knowledges and Languages and the Indigenous Council.
• York University is in Toronto, Canada’s largest city and one of the world’s most diverse. In 2022, Forbes named Toronto one of the Ten Best Cities to Live. York is accessible from Toronto by subway.