Minister of Music (West Hartford, CT)
Westminster Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) is seeking a Minister of Music with the skills and sensitivity to serve as a unifying and energizing presence, who will collaborate with Pastor, staff, and lay leaders to shape worship that honors God, invites experiences of learning and growth, and inspires us to love and serve others. We are especially interested in candidates who are able to model, teach, and organize others, cultivating shared leadership rather than serving as a solo leader.
Successful applicants should possess the following skills and characteristics:
- Experience as a leader of choirs and other musical ensembles;
- Proficiency in vocal pedagogy, choral conducting, and strong organ/piano skills;
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in music preferred but not required;
- Appreciation of music's role within Christian worship.
- Stylistic versatility and willingness to learn and play music from varied traditions;
- A collegial spirit in the process of planning worship;
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to work with a variety of backgrounds;
- Heart for the spiritual formation of the community.
- Prepare for and lead, with the pastor, music for weekly worship and special services.
- Direct the Chancel Choir and Handbell Choir, including rehearsals;
- Offer organ and piano music for Sunday morning worship services and special services;
- Create engaging opportunities for intergenerational music-making at monthly LIFT services;
- Build relationships within the congregation to grow the choir and the music ministry
- Invite and coordinate additional musicians from the congregation and community;
- Oversee the music scholar program (four paid singers from nearby colleges/universities);
- Collaborate with pastor and worship team to plan and assess worship;
- Oversee the maintenance of instruments and music ministry-related equipment;
- Provide music for weddings and funerals, as negotiated.
The position provides competitive salary based on experience, as well as:
- Two weeks of paid vacation time (including two Sundays);
- One week of continuing education/study leave and funds for professional development;
- Office and rehearsal space within the church; space available for teaching, performing, etc.;
- Option of paying into employer-sponsored retirement plan;
- Option of health benefits is negotiable.
The application deadline is June 15, 2020. To apply, please submit:
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position;
- Resume with two recent references;
- Supporting materials (links to recordings/videos) that demonstrate your skills.
Application materials can be sent to the Search Committee Chair Janet Wade-Utay firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Music Minister Search Committee’ in the subject line.
For more information, visit us at: https://www.westpresby.org
It is the policy of Westminster Presbyterian Church to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.