Music Director (Oakland, California)
Church Music Director
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Oakland
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Oakland, CA, is seeking a talented and inspired musician to lead its music program to begin in the fall, 2022.
Who We Are:
St. Paul’s is a welcoming, diverse, and affirming community of approximately 127 weekly congregants. Rooted in the Episcopal/Anglican tradition, we have a contemporary view of spirituality and religion in the world today.
St. Paul’s is well known for music both as part of the service and as a concert venue. Music is an essential part of our worship experience and highly valued by our congregation. Our choir consists of 10-12 volunteers with good intonation and sight-reading abilities, and four professional section leaders. The choir sings at the weekly 10 am Sunday service, and monthly services of Evensong and Compline. Our repertoire spans centuries of Anglican tradition, as well as spirituals and more contemporary works. The acoustics in our beautiful space are live and clear, ideal for choral and chamber performances. Our instruments include a 1934 Austin Organ, a 6’ Yamaha Parlor Grand Piano (sanctuary) and a two-octave set of handbells. Concerts by outside groups held within the church are organized by our Friends of Music Ministry.
We share our campus with our primary ministry, St. Paul’s Episcopal School, a non-sectarian K-8 school of almost 400 children. There may be opportunity to develop a music program that features children from the school as well as the parish.
· Steward St. Paul’s excellence in sacred music performance
· Create a Music Ministry that is welcoming, collegial, and diverse
· Creatively and collaboratively expand our musical offerings to reflect the diversity of our beloved community
· Work with the clergy to prepare for the liturgy each week.
· Play the organ and direct St. Paul’s choir. Our strong desire is for a single choir director-organist, but are open to considering two individuals, under the right circumstances.
· The Director of Music is a part-time salaried position with benefits. Salary range is $32-$40,000, depending on education, training and experience.
Candidates for the position should submit the following no later than July 31, 2022:
· A letter of introduction
· Complete curriculum vitae, including a record of formal education, training in music, and employment history, including employers and positions
· Digital examples of organ performance
· Names and contact information for three professional references
St. Paul’s Employee Policy requires proof of current vaccination against COVID19.
Sharon Pilmer, Chair, Music Director Search Committee