Music Minister (Greenwich, CT)
Founded on Easter Sunday in 1881, First Presbyterian Church of Greenwich’s mission is to nurture and empower people in all stages of life to be Christ’s disciples and to actively serve those in need. FPCG is a welcoming and vibrant, Spirit-filled community of faith, which has recently called dynamic new Senior Co-Ministers to partner with a gifted church staff and congregation in writing a wonderful new chapter in its 141-year history.
Our membership is talented, well-educated, economically diverse, and enjoys a facility which features a $28 million enhancement including music offices and choir rehearsal spaces. FPCG is known in the community for its long-standing commitment to offering a consistently high-quality music program that is multi-generational, growth-oriented, inclusive and integrated into the life and programs of the church.
The Music Minister Position
FPCG is seeking a Music Minister who will 1) further our church mission; 2) create an outstanding music program by working collaboratively and creatively with our Pastoral Team, key leadership, and the congregation 3) exhibit an inviting and joyful presence while playing organ/piano and conducting the choirs during worship; 4) be the church’s “music expert” and share that knowledge in engaging ways; 5) direct and grow our choir programs by involving church members of diverse abilities.
Current Music Program Structure
1. Two Sunday Services (10 AM/5 PM), Weddings (approx. five/year), Funerals (approx. five-ten/year) and special events (e.g. Christmas concerts). Sunday morning Beach Service in summer replaces 5 PM service.
2. Three choirs which are frequently in the Sunday Service
a. Chancel, 15 members (approx.).
b. Bells, 12 members (approx.).
c. Children’s, 10 members (approx.).
3. Chancel Choir rehearses in a new, dedicated space; currently on Thursday night and before the Sunday 10 AM service.
4. Instruments Available
a. Five Steinway Grand Pianos
b. M.P. Moller (Opus 11 798, 1990) Organ
c. 4-octave handbell set with Schulmerich handbells and chimes
d. Extensive Music Library
5. One paid professional is currently managing the Bell and Children’s choirs.
Important Skills for New Music Minister
1. Demonstrate previous experience directing a church music program or similar choral program.
2. Collaboratively ensure high-quality music at our services and work with our Pastoral team to integrate music into our worship.
3. Offer a growth-oriented mindset that seeks to invite and engage the entire congregation in the music program.
4. Play organ and piano in a competent manner during worship and at special services/events.
5. Coordinate and arrange for rehearsals, performances and professional musicians as required.
6. Manage and oversee music budget - $80,000/year
7. Ideally holds a master’s degree or equivalent in Music
Assessment of Position
1. The Music Minister reports to the Co-Senior Ministers
2. The FPCG Personnel Committee conducts 360-degree semi-annual evaluation system for all staff.
3. Criteria important to this position include:
a. Participation/growth in the program.
b. Congregation and Minister satisfaction.
Terms of Employment
30 hours per week; exempt employee
Compensation: $60,000 per year
Participation in group health plan
Vacation: three weeks per year, including three Sundays
Professional development: one week per year; $1,500 allowance
Start date: August 1, 2022
Submit a PDF cover letter, resume, a link to a video performance sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line “Minister of Music”.