Music Teacher (San Francisco, CA)
St. Brigid School
2250 Franklin St.
San Francisco, CA 94109
Music Teacher, full-time, beginning Fall 2021
Saint Brigid Elementary School (TK-8) seeks a motivated and experienced full-time music teacher for a demanding music program steeped in the Catholic tradition.
The music program at St. Brigid school is jointly sponsored by the school and St. Mary’s Cathedral, tying into the Cathedral Choir School Project (sfchoirschool.org). The Cathedral Music Director serves as liaison between cathedral and school and oversees the school’s music program, but the music teacher is ultimately responsible to the school principal.
The primary goal of the music program is musical literacy for all children in the school. To achieve this goal, a variety of methods are used, among them the Kodaly and Ward Methods, Noteflight software, a system using square notation to teach solfege, and instrumental instruction (recorders in grades 3 and 4, strings in grades 5 and 6, and handbells in grades 7 and 8---some of these could be taught by a second teacher). However, the primary focus is group singing.
Each class meets several times a week for at least 30 minutes each session. An after school program includes at present two ukulele ensembles and two string ensembles.
There are frequent school Masses, each led by a different grade, and the music teacher is responsible for preparing the students for the music. In addition there are two school wide concerts, one in the Winter, and one in the Spring.
1. Experienced music teacher with at least a Bachelor degree
2. Committed Christian with an appreciation of the Catholic faith
3. Experience with the Kodaly Method, including the Curwen hand signs
4. Some knowledge of Ward Method desirable
5. Knowledge of recorder, strings, and handbells desirable
6. Familiarity with Noteflight software and application in the classroom
7. Thorough familiarity with square notation and Gregorian chant
8. Willingness to incorporate subject matter relevant to study in other subjects into the curriculum
9. Sense of organization and punctuality
10. Willingness to take on after school music involvement
Salary and benefits according to Archdiocesan guidelines
Resumes and letters of application should be sent to Christoph Tietze at the school, or emailed to email@example.com